Author Topic: Uses for Altoids mint tins?  (Read 567 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Uses for Altoids mint tins?
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
Last year I got hooked on Altoids Wintergreen Mints and have sense been ordering them by the case on Amazon.

I have been saving all the tins and have found a few uses for them. Q-tips fit nicely in them for when I travel. As of lately I have been using a few of them to store cough drops in too. I also use them to put screws in when I take thing apart.

Was search for other uses for the tins when I found this link.

http://www.instructables.com/tag/type-id/?sort=none&q=Altoids

Any other Altoids fans out there? Do you use the tins for anything special?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
Re: Uses for Altoids mint tins?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:41:19 AM »
I went and got some 4" abs plastic,  a foot long,  and bought a cap for the bottom, and put a fitting on the top with threads, with a screw on cap.   I put all my screws, washers, plastic stuff off of washers and dryers etc, the round balls from the older Dependable lids etc.  Have three of them in the van.   Have never been with out the rubber bumpers under the lids, etc, safe and strong, holds a lot, and are heavy, but every things goes in there.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: Uses for Altoids mint tins?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
Cool idea Brent,

For work related items I use a lot of the Plano storage boxes.

http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/category/55-storage-boxes.aspx

I have one for dryer thermostats. One for household fuses. One for other small dryer parts. One for dishwasher plumbing fittings. One for dryer belts. One for wire nuts and all other electrical fittings. etc...

Must have a dozen different ones. All the boxes I use have the same outside dimensions so they are nice and neat when all put together on end.
Have used them for years. At first there old style plastic latches would break off every now and then in the cold, but a few years ago they changed them to a Pro Latch or something like that and I have not had any more trouble with latches breaking when it's cold out.

As for the Altoids tins I'm just looking for general uses for them, not just work related uses. I'm have a ton of them and they seem to nice to throw away, if you know what I mean. ;)

Somedays I think I save way to much junk that I should just have thrown away to start with.
Hope you find our site helpful.