Author Topic: fridge and freezer too cold, compressor running too long  (Read 642 times)

Offline bytebug

• VIP Member
fridge and freezer too cold, compressor running too long
« on: February 21, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »
Dear Support Team,

I have a model GE GSH22SGPC SS side by side fridge that is not behaving.  I have had all the usual symptoms with a 9 year old fridge however i don't want to give it up just yet.  When it runs well it runs well.  Last problem is that the compressor runs and my thermostat gauge in the freezer and fridge shows way too cold.  I have tried to change settings from default 5 and 5 to other values without success. I have replaced in the last 1 month the main control board, both thermistors in freezer, top and bottom, cut off thermostat in freezer and defrost heater element. Evaporator appears okay, no more frost build up on backside. I need to keep the night light on because the water dispenser outlet will freeze up and block water dispensing. i have not replaced fresh side thermistor. Damper motor works as normal.  I'm leaning towards the temperature setting display board. the door switches work properly. I downloaded a technical service guide from your site however its for a different however similar model.  i was looking to use the diagnostic testing for any clues.  my trade is an automation technician so i am familiar with most components and have been learning a significant amount online. 
questions?
would you have the correct technical service guide for download?
does the temp setting board have enough logic to keep compressor running longer than normal?

Thanks in advance..

Offline DaleCaskanette

• Technician
Re: fridge and freezer too cold, compressor running too long
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
replace ff thermistor it is likely out of spec and board keeps compressor running too long. had 1 thermistor was ok but it was buried in foam ran ok for 4 years installed correctly and has been working for 2 yrs

Offline bytebug

• VIP Member
Re: fridge and freezer too cold, compressor running too long
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
Many thanks Dale.
I will give that a try. If it works then I will save on expensive DC bulbs for the water dispenser and a few kilowatt hours.

Maytag Fridge MFI2665XEW, Compressor running hot, Freezer at 36 degrees

Started by Crazy Johnny

Replies: 12
Views: 2366
Last post February 26, 2013, 02:55:54 PM
by domain
MSD2756DEB Maytag side by side-freezer cold,but fridge is at 50 degree's

Started by djbrun

Replies: 7
Views: 4128
Last post September 07, 2009, 11:15:58 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Fridge not cold enough, Freezer too cold.

Started by GiantSquid

Replies: 6
Views: 5384
Last post December 30, 2009, 09:04:30 PM
by Jos
Haier Fridge Hot/Freezer Cold

Started by Diyeng

Replies: 11
Views: 5215
Last post June 27, 2011, 06:10:45 PM
by JWWebster
LG LRBC22544ST fridge/freezer combo no longer blowing cold air.

Started by umoms

Replies: 1
Views: 1526
Last post October 30, 2011, 07:38:55 AM
by wildimaginations
Fridge and freezer both cool not cold

Started by paul1474

Replies: 8
Views: 1867
Last post November 17, 2012, 12:52:49 PM
by dab147315