Author Topic: Amana washer agitator rattles during spin cycle  (Read 5596 times)

Offline suec

• VIP Member
Amana washer agitator rattles during spin cycle
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:24:21 PM »
The agitator on my 8 year old Amana topload washer is loose and rattles loudly during spin cycle. How do I fix this? Can I do it myself? Am I causing more damage if I continue to use the washer as is?

Model ALW120RAW

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
Re: Amana washer agitator rattles during spin cycle
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:29:07 PM »
It could either be a worn agitator or a worn drive bell (#9) in the image below. Only an inspection of both would determine which.

"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:11:34 PM »
On that drawing  I believe number 9 is your problem.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline suec

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 04:31:06 PM »
Hi, Thanks for the info. I have popped off the cap (#14) on the diagram, but cannot figure out how to proceed. There appears to be a soggy felt washer on the bolt that sticks up inside the agitator but there doesn't seem to be any nut or other thing fastening it down. Do I just pull up on the agitator to remove it or is there some way to release it? It doesn't seem to want to budge. Any help would be appreciated.
Suec

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 05:35:32 PM »
The agitator is pressed onto the drive bell, and no tool is needed until it comes off.

Here's how I do it....take any slender leather belt and slip it under the agitator so that both ends are in each hand. With the center of the belt aligned with the center of the agitator bottom, pull up sharply with both hands. The agitator will pop right up. (Keep your face turned away)

The bolt is there to hold the agitator drive bell underneath securely to the agitator shaft of the tranny. Once the agitator is up you can remove the bolt and tap underneath the drive bell to pop it up. It is this drive bell which controls how loosely the agitator seems while mounted to the shaft, and it bears the brunt of things like overloading.

One other tip to minimize wear and tear on the agitator is to always select the highest water level when you wash, even for smaller loads. This will eliminate the pressure of a load on the base of the agitator and make it last longer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 05:43:09 PM by Repair-man »

Offline suec

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 12:03:14 AM »
Help! I now have the replacement part - #9 on the diagram, but the instructions that came with the part say I need special tools: a "drive bell tool"  # 253P4 with an "update for the jaws"  #294P4A, and "bolt" # 294P4B to remove the drive bell. They also say I'll need a "seal tool" #293P4 in order to properly seat the seal. I'm having trouble finding the exact tools listed, but other similar tools apparently run in the neighborhood of $90 to $100! Is it possible to rent these tools somewhere? Is there something I can safely use as a substitute? I'm only 5"2" and about 102 pounds, so brute force is not an option for me.
Thanks,
Suec

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »
Once the bolt is removed from the center of the drive bell, you can substitute the bell tool for a 6" block of wood placed under the lower edge of the bell. Tap upward on the block with a hammer until the bell pops up.

Seating the seal can be done by hand, although you may need to order the tube of red sealant that is used to glue the seal in place. Don't know why they don't include this in the kit. You were only supposed to order the drive bell and/or agitator, so replacing the seal is not necessary unless there is a tub leak there.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:26:11 AM by Repair-man »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
I use a cargo strap. I put a loop under both sides. I have my buddy Robert on one side of the washer and I am on the other side. We both  raise up on the agitator and sometimes the washer will try to be lifted up. But after about 5 seconds the agitator will come out. Believe me.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Kitchenaid Washer Agitator Stuck during the Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2330
Last post July 03, 2008, 10:30:35 AM
by JWWebster
Amana Washer very noisy during spin cycle

Started by DIY Dori

Replies: 6
Views: 6296
Last post February 20, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
by MDScott714
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 3015
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone
Maytag Performa washer rattles and jiggles excessively during spin cycle

Started by junodaniels

Replies: 8
Views: 4272
Last post January 25, 2011, 06:09:42 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag washer mah4000aww spin cycle

Started by evo100

Replies: 1
Views: 1844
Last post December 25, 2007, 09:41:02 PM
by AJ
washer works except spin cycle and has a burning rubber smell.

Started by hogslayer

Replies: 4
Views: 3587
Last post February 19, 2008, 03:50:55 PM
by JWWebster