Author Topic: Frigidaire Washer Long Fill and E10 Error  (Read 9138 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Frigidaire Washer Long Fill and E10 Error
« on: June 23, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »

Model # ATF6000FS1, the complaint on this washer was it would continuously fill for several minutes, then it would display an E10 error message and begin to pump out the excessive amount of water. Overfilling conditions are usually the result of a problem with the pressure switch so that is where I began my checks.

How Pressure Switches Work
The pressure switch is the component most washers use to determine the amount of water inside the wash tub. To do this, the pressure switch is connected to a hose which will connect to an air gap mounted to the bottom side of the wash tub. As the water level increases, the pressure inside the tube increases which then presses against a bellows located inside the pressure switch. The bellows is then attached to a set of switch contacts that will close when the preset pressure has been met. If you remove the pressure hose and blow into the switch, you will hear the contacts close and should measure continuity through the the switch terminals. Some washers utilize a pressure switch with multiple or infinite water settings. These switches operate the same way, but the amount of pressure required to close the switch can be adjusted by turning a selection know. That way if you want a higher water level, more pressure will be required to close the switch.

The Pressure Switch in this Washer
The pressure switch on this washer works much like the above description, but it utilizes a solid state or digital pressure switch which has no internal switch contacts but instead uses a crystal that will change resistance as pressure is applied to it (just like a digital scale). These switches will have three wires leading to them (5vdc, 0vdc, and a signal line reading between 0~5vdc) and need to have voltage applied in order to test their operation. A word of caution, the connector to the Frigidaire pressure switch can go on two ways, wires pointing down is correct, wires pointing up will result in you getting a new switch.

Back to the Repair
Because this unit also displayed an E10 error code (E10 really doesn't exist in the error list, but it will display E10 and then log and E11) which indicates a long fill, I used my meter to check the connector at the pressure switch and found my 5vdc, but nothing from the signal line indicating this switch has failed. After I installed a new pressure switch this washer was again filling to it's proper water level.

Model ATF6000FS1

FRIGIDAIRE Switch - Pressure, part number: AP4298882

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Frigidaire Washer Long Fill and E10 Error
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:25:28 PM »
If you put the switch in bass ackwards then you will need to buy  a new switch? Has it got a diode in it or somethig?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
I am not really sure what it is since the whole thing is very small and uses surface mount components, but having done it myself, you do hear an audible pop when power is applied and the only thing left is a crater on the switch board. 

FRIGIDAIRE Switch - Pressure, part number: AP4298882

Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
    • www.ukwhitegoods.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
It's an "analogue" pressure switch - a magnet moves through a coil and by doing so changes frequency. The pcb can interpret the frequency and give proprtional, rather than fixed, water level control.

I've sent AJ a file to attach.

Chris,
Penguin45.

Online AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »
I've sent AJ a file to attach.

Did not receive any file yet.

If it's not to large you should be able to attach it to a post too.

Offline Penguin45

• VIP Member
    • www.ukwhitegoods.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:51:08 PM »
Don't know if this will work properly.........

Penguin45.

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »
Hey Penguin45, 

Thanks for catching that error in my post.  I was taking information from the Invensys site thinking there was a transducer in the switch, but did take a new one appart today, took some pics and a video showing the operation and found it is just as you stated.  I will be updating my original post to correct the error and add the additional testing process so everything should be accurate.  Thanks for helping out with the details.  And also, you are correct as to it being an analog switch.  I used digital trying to differentiate it from the normal contact switch, but then realized after reading your post that was a poor choice of wording and not at all accurate.  Well done.

TechnicianBrian
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:21:53 PM by TechnicianBrian »

Whirlpool Duet Washer WFW9250WW00 shows LF 'Long Fill' Error

Started by AJ

Replies: 8
Views: 4162
Last post November 09, 2013, 12:07:22 PM
by leona
E10 Error - Frigidaire Front Loading Washer

Started by KJCMaintenance

Replies: 1
Views: 2592
Last post July 02, 2010, 10:09:04 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire CRTF1240A - washer takes a LONG time, maybe forever

Started by jiggersplat

Views: 276
Last post October 21, 2013, 09:05:31 AM
by Cananot
Frigidaire Front Load washer making noise.

Started by curtis

Replies: 3
Views: 5404
Last post July 05, 2007, 09:25:04 PM
by AJ
Kenmore (frigidaire?) washer 417.29042991 No Spin - drains fine

Started by ratt2581

Views: 5181
Last post September 21, 2007, 09:44:54 PM
by AJ
frigidaire front load washer