Author Topic: Whirlpool Laundry Center not Washing Clothes Well  (Read 1531 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Laundry Center not Washing Clothes Well
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »

Model Number: LT7000XVN0 icon, this laundry center (washer on bottom, dryer on top) was not washing the clothes as well as it had in the past for the customer so they felt a service call was in order. The customer described the problem as the clothes would not be as clean and often, they came out of the washer twisted together so I began doing a few quick checks of the washers mechanical system. One of the checks I always make on top load washers is to grasp the top of the agitator to make sure it is turning properly.

Most Whirlpool manufactured washers utilize a split agitator assembly meaning the top half will spin independently of the lower half. The reason for this is to make the items in the wash tumble from top to bottom instead of just agitating from side to side. This results in better wash performance and less wear and tear on the clothes being washed. To make this happen, the agitator uses a cam and dog(s) assembly that ratchets the top half allowing it to spin freely in one direction but lock on the other. If you place your hand on the top of the agitator when it is running, it should advance clockwise, but remain steady counterclockwise. With age the cam and dog(s) will wear resulting in poor or inconsistent operation. Often the complaint will be noise due to the the dogs sticking and making a audible ratcheting sound during the wash cycle.

My test of placing my hand on the agitator demonstrated that this agitator wasn't working properly so a new agitator cam & dog kit was installed making this washer, wash well again.

LT7000XVN0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Laundry Center not Washing Clothes Well
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
I watched your video.
Rabbits do it slower.
man was that it?
That is cool
How did you do that?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Re: Whirlpool Laundry Center not Washing Clothes Well
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:50:47 PM »
You talking to me or the rabbits?  ;)

I try and take short 10 second videos at the same time I do the photos for my blog so I can demonstrate the condition or event I am trying to describe.  That way everyone can see or hear the issue, and 10 seconds eats up very little memory.  Sometimes the video just doesn't work for me (or someone was talking in the background) so I leave it out, but I am trying to do more of it as time allows.  Hope it's working for everyone.

Washer won't start, cascade of failures on Laundry Center

Started by JosephK

Replies: 6
Views: 2698
Last post November 14, 2007, 07:51:47 AM
by rickgburton
Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine will not agitate

Started by autumdove

Replies: 3
Views: 4860
Last post November 24, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
by rickgburton
Laundry Center Washer Tube off center

Started by dartdrop

Replies: 3
Views: 3930
Last post December 02, 2008, 08:58:58 PM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool Washer is leaking from bottom in the center

Started by Pagegurl

Replies: 5
Views: 4372
Last post January 04, 2009, 04:30:41 PM
by jumptrout51
Frigidaire Laundry Center won't Agitate.

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5235
Last post January 05, 2009, 07:15:19 AM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Duet Washer - Whimpy Spin Cycle leaves clothes wet often

Started by JumpinJackFlash

Replies: 5
Views: 7029
Last post February 24, 2009, 06:03:13 AM
by JumpinJackFlash