Author Topic: Samsung - DMT800RHS - How to access drain pump?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
Samsung - DMT800RHS - How to access drain pump?
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
Hi,

I am pretty sure I have some debris that is either jamming (or broke) my drain pump, but I don't know how to get to it to check.

Does anyone here know if I access it from inside or if I need to pull the dishwasher out and get at it from underneath, or the back, or ?

I get the 5E error early on in the wash cycle and there is standing water in the bottom of the dishwasher. I checked the hose and it is clear. I removed what looks like what I can from the inside, but I can't see down to any pumps yet so I'm thinking I can't get at it from the inside.

I believe it was some cheap plastic parts on the upper rack that broke off and got sucked down into the pump. I noticed these plastic pieces were broken off as I was dis-assembling today after the 5E codes and I read that the same thing happened to someone else.

Any info, diagrams, videos, etc. would be great! I've never repaired a dishwasher, but I'm fairly sure if I can get to the part I could check it and/or swap it out.

Thanks,

PDG
DMT800RHS

Offline stevetro1

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung - DMT800RHS - How to access drain pump?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
Hey Paco,

Have you gotten any further accessing the deeper drain/pump areas?  I'm having the same exact issue triggering a 5E code.  I already knew I had broken upper rack plastics, but now it looks like they've caused more issues.  I did a quick check of everything I could this morning before work but will have to go deeper tonight.

Just looking for some advice if you found how to look deeper into the unit for the jams, etc?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
No, unfortunately. To me, it looks like you can only get so far going through the inside. I don't see any way to get down to the pumps from there, and also, as you no doubt know, you can't see anything from the front after removing the kick-plate.

I'm guessing that the unit has to be pulled out and maybe even tipped over on its side to get at it from the underside, but before I do that and make a mess (I live in a condo and don't want to chance too much water spilling out onto the floor/towels) I was hoping someone here would know more. It is frustrating that Samsung didn't make it a little easier to clear a possible jam when it isn't hard to foresee that something would eventually make it down to the pump that doesn't belong there...

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:32:35 AM by PacoDeGato »

Offline stevetro1

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
So I guess then you've been living with your broken dishwasher for the past few days?  bummer!  I had mine out from under the counter this morning but was not dressed for the job so I didn't dig further.  I will be getting into it tonight though and will post back any findings.  I've not needed to dig into this unit until now.

Anyone else out there have advice for us looking to fully remove/clean drain assembly?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:32:59 PM »
Best advise I can give is pull the unit out, remove the drain line from under the sink and test it in a 5 gallon bucket after you do the repair or cleanout.Its really frustrating to reinstall the unit and find out what you thought was fixed is not. I carry extra wire for the unit,for those special ones that have just enough wire to wire in, and pull it and spin it around so my water line hooks back up. I've had quite a few of these get plugged drain lines. And yes, I have gotten some floors wet.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
I replaced the case brake on the 800 series, then had problems with the Drain hose leaking due to customer interference monkeying with washer while I waited for part.  water was leaking Down to the leak sensor & gave me the leak code.

I found it easier to go ahead & pull DW & turn it upside to work on it.   Piece of cake to work on then.  I found pieces of the basket in the pump which was also causing problems.  They were easy to clean out once the unit was pulled.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
Thanks for that info.

How easy is it to get to the drain pump from the underside then? Is it easy to identify?

I'm probably going to have a tech come and do mine, so if I do I'll try to take a couple of pictures to show what's going on and where to look. I'm still waiting to hear back from Samsung.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
Flip it over take the drip pan off, 4 screws I think, pull the pins & the whole pump assembly comes out been a while since I worked on one last.

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:02 AM »
Perfect, thanks! If I get a chance in the next couple of days I'll take a look myself (and still take the pics).

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:49 AM »
Well, no pictures because the technician tested my drain pump with his little electronic tester and it was fine. However, he did confirm that to get to the pump you had to access it from the underside of the unit, so there's that.

What was causing my problem was a bad main board (this is the board that is accessible from the bottom front of the unit behind that gray plastic cover held on by two screws). Apparently it was not sending the signal to the drain pump to pump out the water when it was supposed to, so the error code just stopped the entire cycle right there and then (5E).

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »
My experience with Samsung drain pumps are usually the impellers wear down, or the drain hose gets plugged from the tub to the pump chamber.  The most common cause is filter full of junk.   Sometimes a 2-bit piece will get stuck in the pump.     Never had to change the control board for a drain issue.

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:06 AM »
Dishwasher gave me the 5E again this morning after working fine for all of 3 days. I re-ran the cycle and got the 5E again, then on the third try it made it through the cycle.

Running it again now to see what happens... any ideas on why it would be sporadic like this?

Before I got the replacement main board I tried to run it at least 6 or 7 times I'd say, and it never made it very far into the cycle before shutting down, so replacing the board definitely solved something. However, before it totally shut down last time I do recall getting the 5E once and then it worked okay for a few more days or so before going down for good.

Of course, this makes me wonder if these 5E codes this morning are just a prelude to another total shutdown in the near future, so we'll see. If so, I'm guessing that there's something going on that is frying the main board, but that sounds like a major issue!

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
or you have a bad pump or a plugged line.

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
When you say bad pump, are you saying that coincidentally even though the problem last week was NOT the pump, now it might be rather than another board issue?

The pump was tested just this past Saturday and it tested out fine. Once the board was replaced everything worked--the pump was strong.

By the way, just ran it through two more times and everything seems to be working for now.

Maybe there was a small plug in the line that got dislodged... or maybe the board will be fried next week. I'll post again if there are additional problems.

Thanks for all of the info/advice, everyone.

Offline PacoDeGato

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »
FINAL ANSWER IS:

Small piece of plastic from those broken button/levers on top rack was clogging up the drain line at the end where it connects to the dishwasher... this was checked on the 3rd visit after the main board was replaced on visit 1, the drain pump on visit 2... it turned out to be almost exactly what I reported to Samsung in my initial complaint (I said small piece from broken button may have jammed up the drain pump itself).

Seems to be working fine now. I'm not even getting new buttons/levers for the top rack because I figure they'll just break again.

For what it's worth, it looks to be an easy job to get to the drain pump and the drain hose under the dishwasher though. Just lean it over, take out a few screws to remove the cover and they're right there.

Drain pump replacement instructions for Samsung dishwasher DMT300RFS

Started by Pazman

Replies: 2
Views: 3343
Last post May 08, 2013, 12:11:32 PM
by AJ
Samsung DMT800RHS/XAA Would Not Pump

Started by Johnnytail

Replies: 0
Views: 1401
Last post May 28, 2014, 04:06:47 PM
by Johnnytail