Author Topic: Weekend Project from Hell! LG Tromm gas dryer  (Read 1175 times)

Offline BJ Drake

• VIP Member
Weekend Project from Hell! LG Tromm gas dryer
« on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
This weekend I spent way too much time with my dryer!  Now it is a point of pride to prove to myself and my wife that I can fix this darn thing! I have an LG Tromm gas dryer model number dlg7188rm, We have replaced the gas valve coils, the thermistor, and the ignitor in the last week, but it is still not working properly.  It comes on and ignites the flame and heats up, however the cooling light stays on the whole time and it takes two to three cycles to dry small loads.  I believe the main control board is what must be bad but I am wondering if you think it is something else, or if there is a way to test the board?  We have tested all the fuses and they are closed, one was tripped and we reset it. The vent is all clear all the way to the house and blowing out warm but not hot air. Any help would be great, getting pretty frustrated with this project!

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
Re: Weekend Project from Hell! LG Tromm gas dryer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 06:56:46 PM »
Sounds like a clogged vent. How long is the vent from dryer to outside. How do you know its clear? I use an airflow meter to measure air flow and a temp meter to measure temp. The fact that the resetable fuse was tripped can be a sign of poor airflow
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline BJ Drake

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
Thank you for your help, but I'm pretty sure the vent is clear as can be, we cleaned the lint out of everything, then put a new vent on the dryer that runs about 7 feet outside. There is strong air flow outside when it's running, and just to be positive we have tried running it open into the basement to see if that made a difference and it still did not get hot after 15 min running.  I can hear the gas click on and can see the igniter glow and a flame come on, it just didn't seem to get very hot, it took two cycles on the cotton option to dry 4 towels, and even after that double run they were still damp. Do you know what kind of temp we should be getting? I can try putting a thermometer in there. Once again thanks for any ideas you have!

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 07:22:49 AM »
Thats strange. Not sure how hot yours is supposed to get.

Offline schleven

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:26:59 AM »
You said you replaced the gas valve coils, did you mean the whole valve? It doesnt look like you can replace just the coils on that model.

Offline BJ Drake

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:12 AM »
Yes I mean the whole gas valve, the coils where what was bad, but with this model we had to replace it all. Going to take another crack at it this weekend, hopefully I can get it figured out.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
Try this, stick a light inside the dryer but outside of the drum and look inside the drum.  Can you see light through the drum seals?  If so, you have a bad seal and the heated air is not being fully drawn through the drum but rather the colder air is coming through the seals.  The only resolution for this is to replace the whole drum assembly.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

LG TROMM gas dryer

Started by godamnjon

Replies: 3
Views: 4768
Last post October 31, 2008, 10:34:44 PM
by AJ
LG Tromm Gas Dryer won't Heat

Started by MBryga

Replies: 35