Author Topic: LG TROMM WM2277, OE error, intermittent drain pump running  (Read 3279 times)

Offline fastline

• VIP Member
LG TROMM WM2277, OE error, intermittent drain pump running
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:09:06 PM »
I am trying to troubleshoot my washer.  I have technical experience but not an LG tech. 

Randomly, the washer will error with OE code.  I will clean and inspect drain filter and reach in to verify drain impellers rotate and feel fine.  Errors are getting more frequent. 

I put washer in diagnostic mode on a few occasions, I verified that when mode 11 (turn drain pump on), it did not turn on.  IIRC, the diagnostic LCD was not indicating the proper level.  However, I would go to mode 11, no pump running, I could hear a faint noise but do not believe it is a locked drain motor humming, but only some other electrics.  However, I would use a screwdriver handle and wrapped the sheet metal around the drain and the pump would turn on. 

In my experiences, if the pump was not running, I would hear some humming from the pump so I am thinking this is either a wiring, plug, or other issue.  However, due to the units being stacked (wash on bottom) and in a tight location, I am trying to avoid full teardown at all costs.  I would love to be able to access the pump wires for volt/amp testing but seems that will not be possible? 

Other ideas to verify where the problem might be?  The pump seems to have some pretty good power and I would think only a hard  object would stop it.  I did manually fill the tube from level 61 to level 45 and went to drain mode and it drains down in about 30sec or less. 

Offline fastline

• VIP Member
Re: LG TROMM WM2277, OE error, intermittent drain pump running
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
UPDATE:  After several tests, which included running through diagnostic modes a bunch, I would get to a place where the drain pump should be running and was not, but if I bang on the area where the pump is, I could get it running.  I actually left it in this not-running mode for several minutes to see if it would kick in.  No-go until I hit it, then it would drain perfect. 

So I decided I would have to open it regardless so I tore it down.  I was hoping to find a bad connector or something but really am not certain on the smoking gun yet.  ALL wiring looks and tests flawless with the meters.  Pump coil tests perfect even when moving contacts around and visual inspection looks perfect. 

The impeller however, has a lot of axial and radial play but does not hang up and has strong magnetic feel. 

I opened it further and the pump shaft is pretty well worn and the housing area is full of funk but nothing that was causing it to stop. 

So far, I cannot really find anything that would certainly make this pump not run IMO but I think I can see why that pump makes a lot of noise.  We can hear it in the other room when it runs. 

Thoughts?  What usually fails in them?  I really need to feel good that I have the problem beat.  It takes a LOT to unstack the units and tear down. 

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline fastline

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »
I appreciate the reply.  However, I can see no good reason why the motor would randomly not work though.  There is play at the impeller head but unless I can find some way that the impeller is striking something and stopping, there is no electrical or mechanical reason for it not to rotate. 

Albeit, probably only months from complete failure though and it WILL be replaced regardless. 

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:21:16 AM »
I have replaced plenty of pumps that seem ok. If the problem is that it wont drain properly all the time, and the machine is 4 to 5 years old, its the pump. I have never seen anything but a pump or clogged filter cause this.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline fastline

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:02 AM »
I guess I might rig up a test circuit tomorrow AM to see if I can prove it to myself.  I would sure like to see it fail but as said, it is worn enough that it would ignorant to reinstall anyway. 

I have to remove cabinets and other stuff to get it torn down.  Like to know for sure I guess. 

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:54 AM »
The motor will probably have a dead spot somewhere in the windings.  When it rests on this dead spot, it won't go.  You can test all you want and probably won't find anything wrong with the motor.  But if you want to repair it now, replace the drain pump motor and be done with it.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline fastline

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »
I certainly appreciate the replies and being short on time, I have a pump coming and will probably slam it back in and hope I don't have further issues.  At least by banging on the unit, it would seem something is amiss in the motor.  However, being a perm magnet synchronous motor, there really is no way to have a dead spot like a commutated DC motor.  However, damaged magnets would could big problems.  But, as said, the pump area is worn out anyway. 

On another note, I am very impressed with the build quality of these machines.  Bought them used but I work around electronics so after running, I was certain most do not appreciate the impressive electrics in these with PWM tub motor modulation, dynamic braking,  etc.  Everything in there looks well built.  However, I guess I had to replace a drum roller in the dryer and now a pump in the washer.  Our old Maytags just never stop though. 

control panel not responding drain pump running

Started by GITOBY

Replies: 2
Views: 1602
Last post January 11, 2009, 01:34:45 AM
by laundryman
Calypso pump and CE error

Started by laitala

Replies: 7
Views: 4332
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:06:51 PM
by Repair-man