Author Topic: Vintage Range Restore??  (Read 461 times)

Offline scottg

• VIP Member
Vintage Range Restore??
« on: December 25, 2013, 01:08:48 PM »
Hi Guys
 My old stove has died. I got 35 years from it, with standard simple repairs along the way. (burners switches etc) 
 But this time the roof of the oven has become a spiderweb. The metal is simply gone.

Well my buddy gave me this veteran range he had. I love it, its just my style. Practically everything else in my life is old. I like old stuff.
 But I don't know if it can be saved.
Its a GM Frigidair. As far as I can tell its from 1976. It weighs right around 82thousand pounds. (I like em heavy, heh)
There is hardly a scratch on it. It does not appear to have been used that much at all. I know my buddy had it in his garage for the last 12 years alone.
  Its got an oven problem. So far this is as much as I know. Looking around I did find an exact replacement element. Its around 28 bucks including shipping.
 I went to the town dump and scrounged several oven elements though. Do you think I can just swap in another brand from another era? Making the physical mounts and electrical connections would not be any problem, as long as it will work in the end. 

I also highly suspect the oven relay. I took a picture. I know this is partly a lockout relay for the self cleaning cycle, but not sure what else. It might have some circuit switch between the broiler and oven elements. As you can see in the pictures its been hot. 

Here she is. There is nothing digital here. The clock uses numbers painted on rollers like an old school auto speedometer.

Here is the suspect relay. As far as i can find there is no exact replacement for sale new on the planet. But I don't have any cross reference material or know what other part I can substitute instead.

So there it is. Do you think its worth saving?  Have any advise??
 Do I need a straight jacket??  :rofl:
   yours and thanks in advance Scott

Merry Christmas to one and All

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Vintage Range Restore??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
The relay in the center of second picture is for the latch, the relay in the first with the red "dot" on it is the hot wire relay to make the oven work. You may find on on ebay but rare.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:28:36 AM »
How about this one the oldstoveguy.Do you think its the same part?

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo4/PartDetail/Relay/WB21X5362/252675
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:30:11 AM by dab147315 »

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
The only way to tell is check the terminal markings and where the resistor terminals are.

Offline scottg

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:22:28 PM »
Hi Guys
 Update.
 Well I rigged it up in the driveway, tested, and everything but the oven is working. The clock advanced a minute or two but I have no idea if the control circuits work.  Not that I care. If I burn the cookies that is on me. hehe

I took a little gasoline in a dripper bottle and wet the end of my finger in a rag and pulled off the worst of the old grease. I was outside so I could get away with it, and man, nothing cuts old grease like gas. It hardly took any.

I was able to polish out the worst of the munge from the cerama-glass cooktop.
   In case you are interested I used a Makita variable speed 3/8" drill, which only turns at 2000 rpm tops, a flexible rubber pad with a lambswool bonnet.  Some fine aluminum oxide bar polish to load the wool (is has a sticky wax base), and a pinch of 1000 grit aluminum oxide loose ground polish.  It was slow speed and a dribble of water that did the trick.
  Its not new, but its 1000% better.
 I don't know about cooktops. I could have weakened it and now it will break, I don't know.
  But the wife wasn't putting up with the messy appearance, and I do know how to polish things.

The old oven element shows totally open, on my meter.
I was able to find and order an original element. It showed up today.
The box it was in was totally crushed, ahem, but the element tests good on my cheapie tester.

Also, 2 different editions of Frididair "Tech Talk" showed up.  Small leaflets put out by the company near the time of this range.   Kitty found one that was close to the same model and ordered it. The seller tossed in a contemporary issue for free.
   These look to be splendid with much of everything you'd want to know, including working on the oven relay itself to save a malfunctioning unit!   

I am about to go cut the latch off that locks the door for the self clean cycle. The linkage to the solenoid is missing anyway.  I will never use that cycle, never used self clean in my life, and no sense adding to problems. 
 And of course I'm going to try the element.

Wish me luck. I'm goin' in!  :)
    yours Scott

Offline scottg

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have heat!
 The old burner flew off like a prom dress and the new one jumped into its place.
   I had a little moment in there that the timers were wonky. (Not sure how they work yet).
 But I messed with them a little and the oven light popped right on.

Guess I can get into the deep cleaning and putting this old girl back to work!
      I can't thank you guys enough.  O0
        yours Scott

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
Good job on the fix.If the timer as a manual setting you will have to keep on that for the bake to work.

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
Good job!
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline scottg

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
      Well, its almost ready for service!!

My clock has one madding gear tooth chipped!! Arghhhhhh 
 The motor runs fine and the entire clock has been cleaned and lubed, and every switch as well. But it has one tiny tooth, on one tiny gear, chipped off.
  I found the guy (or girl) who has the original clocks from the GE warehouse closing sale, and will sell me one for 100 bucks. I am considering it.
  I've found most other parts now, even if they are hard to get and somewhat expensive.

I drilled for a more modern door gasket. The ones with little push on clips? Are easy to get.
 I snagged a couple spares at the dump. Original are unavailable and a pain to install anyway. The newer ones are sorta universal and free!

I had to "repair" one of the door springs.
I found it broken in the bottom of the case, yay.   So I took a propane torch on a low flame and gently heated the broken arm little by little, until I could loop it over again. 
 It wasn't real easy getting it back on (its a strong spring) but I did and is working great.

The entire stove (except the cooktop of course) has been cleaned and detailed and waxed.
 The "last layer" of baked on grease was insane to get off. What is that stuff??
  I used straight gasoline and a coarse rag to get most of it off, and a paste made of baking soda and a bit of water to final polish the last off.

I tried other solvents first. Logical solvents.  Carb cleaner, brake cleaner, a mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid, liquid wrench, other penetrating oils as well as several thin oils.
  All totally failed to dissolve the grease. Just totally failed. Only straight gas had a chance.

By the end I was wishing I could have taken that grease off and kept it. I imagine you could use it on power transmission gears and it would last forever!

The semi special lamp bulbs are at the post office waiting for me! 
Who want to drop by and help me carry it in?

Thanks again Guys
      yours Scott         

Jenn Air Duel Fuel Range

Started by Diyeng

Replies: 3
Views: 3552
Last post August 22, 2007, 04:24:51 PM
by Pegi
LG Range Service Manual

Started by flyboytyler

Replies: 1
Views: 3140