Author Topic: Amana Defrost - 1 problem or 2?  (Read 308 times)

Offline z100

• VIP Member
Amana Defrost - 1 problem or 2?
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »

Amana Refrigerator AFD2535DES not defrosting.

• Ran internal diagnostics that indicate defrost thermostat "O" (open), therefore should be bad. Not confident of my beginner multimeter skills, but seems to confirm no continuity (I put it in ice water for the test, not sure of my leads making good contact inside connectors.)
  • Also put in forced defrost mode which didn't sound like it cut off compressor (but did turn off evaporator fan). This would indicate the  Jazz board is bad.

So are both these parts bad, is that not unusual? or:

• Would a bad defrost thermostat that prevents entering defrost mode cause the board to not fully enter forced defrost mode and not cut off the compressor?
  • Might a bad board give me a false error result telling me that a defrost thermostat is bad when it is really OK?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Amana Defrost - 1 problem or 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 02:04:06 AM »
Replace the Jazz board, 12784415, it's a common failure for these to run the compressor during defrost. Ice water is not a good test for the defrost thermostat, it's not cold enough to close the switch.  Put it back in the freezer so it gets nice and cold and then test it.  It's probably okay but it's a cheap enough part to replace if you want to be sure.

Offline z100

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 03:56:46 AM »
Put it back in the freezer so it gets nice and cold and then test it.
hmmm, I would think it could warm quickly once I open the panel.  Maybe you're right on the ice water not being cold enough, but that's what another tech suggested.  maybe do both, put it right into the ice water immediately when accessing to slow the speed it warms up?

Anyway, WEIRD update on the whole thing.

UPDATE: To test board further, I turned frig off on control (using temp down button), compressor went off. So then I tried forced defrost mode again, this time compressor went off! So then I tried the internal service diagnostic (position #1) again for the thermostat, that now gives an "S" not a "O"!!

So maybe the board is going bad, or maybe it reset/rebooted itself (I don't know if defrosting it manually had some effect, or just from powering off, or unplugging/replugging electrical connectors behind panel?) but it all indicates working normally now. I won't know for sure until it remains frost free - how long would that be, at least a few days? longer? I guess I can check if the heater comes on in forced defrost mode, but that requires getting behind the panel again, easier to just wait and cross my fingers.

Is this unusual for the jazz to seem to reset, do they sometimes do this, is it even possible? Is there a design feature to force a reset/reboot of the Jazz board in case of future problem? Or is it just on it's way to bad?

Original symptoms were, freezer was working fine, frig warm. Evaporator fan and damper working normally. Excessive frost buildup.

Offline z100

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:48 AM »
or maybe moisture on board dried up??

Amana Refrig Strange problem

Started by Wedgeman55

Replies: 15
Views: 3399
Last post August 29, 2009, 05:35:41 AM
by Repair-man
HELP ,im repairing my own Ref a Frigidair defrost problem