365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Going Paperless?  (Read 269 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Going Paperless?
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »
My New Year's resolution is to be more organized and a big part of that plan is to go paperless.

Guess I kind of started back in Oct when I started using Evernote.

I don't think a day goes by now that I don't use Evernote and after participating in the Evernote forums ( http://discussion.evernote.com ) and reading what others are doing to go paperless I decided to add a document scanner to my home office.

After much research I ended up purchasing the ScanSanp S1300i from Amazon.

I have only had it a few days, but have already quickly gone through stacks of papers with it.

I remember trying to go paperless a few years ago, before I had a smart phone. Tried using a flat bed scanner back then and it was slow. The ScanSanp S1300i is much faster then even my current day flat bed scanner, simply amazing!

One thing I picked up from reading about going paperless is that you should remember that going paperless does not have to mean going 100% paperless, it just means using less paper. As there will always be papers that you will need to keep the originals of.

Not sure just how far I will take this "paperless" project, but my office sure is a lot less cluttered then it's been in a log time.

Would be interested in hearing from others about what "paperless" tools (scanners, apps, etc...) your using or if thinking about going paperless in future.

Offline AggielandApplianceRepair

• Technician
    • College Station Appliance Repair
Re: Going Paperless?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »
We use office 365 mobile for scheduling and mPengo service call ap for invoices in the field. MPengo takes a while to get used to. At first I didn't like it. But the more I use it the more I like it. I run the ap on an I pad in the customers home. For one customers like the technology and it appears first class. First class means more $$$. Second it allows me to have a customer data base and service call history on the fly. I am sure there are other programs that do this but not sure it runs on mobile devices. And at what cost?  The ap is $20! By the way, the ipad is awesome. I don't even use a pc or lap top anymore. Easier to carry around too!

Offline andyf80

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
Hi AJ, Merry Christmas!

I've been meaning to do a write up on Mpengo myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I've been using it in the field about a week now and am loving it.  It allows you to attach pictures of completed work, existing pre-flooded laundry rooms, previous damage etc. I've been using it for authorization for work sign off before ordering parts and it allows you to categorize the work order as 'waiting on parts' and the job just stays open in your queue until you close it out.
   MPengo service tells me that there are some 'very nice changes' coming with a soon to be released update. I'm pumped to see what they are. As Aggieland said - $20 is a steal for that app. Love it.

Other apps I use are:
   StockControl ($10) which allows for me to enter in my on hand parts, take pictures of them, notes, set inventory thresholds to remind me to reorder at a certain level, etc.  I've just recently gotten this one, but I can already tell it's going to be a lifesaver.
   Kashoo ($50/year) for my accounting software and can I just say Love Love Love.  I don't have an ultra strong grasp of accounting in general, but this program makes it simple enough. It imports all your transactions from your bank so you can periodically reconcile your bank statement. Also, it allows you to snap a picture of the receipt so you can tie that to the transaction.  I basically just throw all my receipts in a folder to never be thought about again, but they're there in case of audit or an EMP attack.
   Square Up for my payments which is....eh. It does the job, but the notes feature are lacking and it's tough to match up transactions with a bank statement later if you don't take special note of the transaction number. That would be about my only complaint. It's fairly good for the most part.

90% of what I do is on my iPad. I use the Mpengo & Square while in the customer's home & the inventory & Kashoo once I'm in the vehicle. It takes an extra 2-3 minutes after your call to get the paperwork done, but then you're done.

Also, for check payments - I typically use Chase picture deposit and hardly ever need to go to the bank.

I used to keep a running excel sheet of customer info that I'd fill in at the end if the day, but that is about to die off completely. The only thing I still need to find a way to track is for sending out thank you/review cards. I'm thinking Mpengo may have a way.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Andy

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:54:26 AM »
Sounds great Andy, will check into some of them.
I'm looking to go paperless in my personal life and in business.

Offline andyf80

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:01:39 PM »
Hey All,
As promised, I've put together a super nuts & bolts demo of the Ipad apps that I use to keep my business paperless. 

It isn't a 'how-to' as much as it is to show the form, function & usability of the apps.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I can expand on them if needed.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »
Video is private
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline andyf80

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
Thanks. Try that.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:29:02 PM »
Works now, thanks
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »
I use Service Xp Pro as my company software.  I'm thinking of getting a windows tablet and using it in the field.  I carry an HP touchpad for jobs but use paper invoices.

I'm thinking of getting a portable Neat scanner and a mobile printer.

Offline cklassen

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 04:19:59 PM »
Just wondering if any of you have used Evernote for your service orders/WO's or do you still use paper for these? Or what do you use?

Paperless invoicing and mobile solutions

Started by Tonycarms

Replies: 7
Views: 199
Last post February 29, 2012, 01:38:37 PM
by schaffersapplian
I want to go paperless.

Started by Preferred Appliance

Replies: 6
Views: 208
Last post May 06, 2013, 09:05:54 PM
by EliteApplianceService