Author Topic: Swapping sliding shelves from newer GE side by side into older model  (Read 294 times)

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
Hello all and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I have an older side by side GE refrigerator freezer. I have maintained this unit carefully, annually cleaning any/all dust from the rear/underside with vacuum and brushes. Still working well. Unfortunately my wife is pushing to replace it, all because she has it too full of stuff and can't get to the stuff in the back without removing stuff in front. So when we clean this thing periodically she finds things she didn't know were there that have gone bad and she wants a new refrigerator. We don't need a new refrigerator - we need it to be less full. That probably isn't going to happen.
We've agreed that if we had sliding shelves, that might solve the problem.
This unit never came with them, but I'm thinking that slightly newer models may have done, and so my task is to find out where I can source new or used sliding shelves that would fit this model that never came with them. I'd think these would be standard in terms of bracket dimensions and width of shelves, but I don't know. Maybe you do.

The standards mounted on the rear wall have 3/4" high slots. They are on 1" centers vertically, i.e. it's 1" from the top of one slot to the top of the next slot.
The brackets (and standards) are 15-1/4" center to center.
The shelves extend 18" from the front of the standard to the front of the shelf.

I found this shelf:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WR71X10362-GE-Refrigerator-Spill-proof-Sliding-Shelf-/290906249345

AppliancePartsPros has a cross reference search on their site which tells me that this shelf isn't for my unit, but I think that's because it never was made with sliding shelves, but I don't think it means that this shelf won't fit or work. the ebay listing for the shelf doesn't have dimensions and I've asked them to measure the actual shelf/bracket/depth so I can tell for sure.

Have any of you experience with retrofitting sliding shelves into a an older, same brand unit?  thanks

BTW my unit is a GE TFX20KLP

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Swapping sliding shelves from newer GE side by side into older model
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »
The grid pattern on the appliancpartspros.com pictures are one inch square. This shelf looks like it's a little over 13" wide so it's probably too narrow for your fridge.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:34:16 AM »
e-Bay says it's for a PDS18LBMAWW (18 feet3), you've got a TFX20KLP (20 feet3).

Offline DannyT

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
I know that the one I found will not work. I'm trying to find out if anyone knows whether or not there is a sliding shelf from a newer, similarly configured (side by side) GE refrigerator/freezer that will work in the unit have, that was NEVER made with sliding shelves. Aside from that, as many refrigerators have some parts in common, is there another brand with a similar shelf hanging system that did have sliding shelves that I could use.  thanks

Side by Side Refrigerator - Model: frs6r5embf

Started by Savage702

Replies: 1
Views: 1282
Last post June 06, 2012, 04:08:13 PM
by AJ
older kenmore side by side with tpe1389yxa compressor not starting

Started by mchunter

Replies: 7
Views: 2212
Last post May 27, 2010, 07:47:51 AM
by BrntToast