Author Topic: Whirlpool washer repair  (Read 642 times)

Offline rlund

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer repair
« on: December 14, 2013, 09:29:33 PM »
Had the "no spinning / no agitating" problem with the machine making a lot of noise. Take note that the washer would pump the water out but not spin. I mention this because I have to assume the washer motor was working at that point. Followed the repair guide to check the motor coupling. Found it broken, removed and replaced. Started the machine. It filled fine and when the timer called for it to agitate it did nothing. Moved the dial to spin now it wouldn't pump. Motor just hummed and a0fter not even a minute I smelled a slight electric burning odor. Shut machine down Went through the reapair process again to make sure I replaced everything properly. This time I checked to make sure the motor was turning freely by turning the motor coupling with my finger. It turned freely on both the transmission and pump side of the motor. However when I turned it clockwise it would only go 3 or 4 rotations and then stop. I don't know if that is normal or not. Set it back up and tried to run it. Filled again but no agitation, no spin and no pump. Made the assumption that it is a motor issue. Disconnected the pump from the motor and the motor from the transmission where the coupling meets. Set the motor on the floor, plugged the machine back in and started the machine. Motor just hums but doesn't turn. Is there something I could have done in replacing the motor coupling to have caused the motor or capacitor to have gone bad. Or is the original problem of why the motor coupling initially broke now resurfacing after I replaced it??

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool washer repair
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
First thing I would check is the harness connector at the motor .Make sure its in properly and no wires have broken or backed out of the connector .Wiggle them and look for arcing.

Offline Mayolito

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
I recommend:
1. lift the washer 45 degrees back , then secure it with something.
2 try to move (rotate) the coupler with your fingers.

if does not moves freely , means that you did not install the coupler as should be.

remember, in one direction the agitator will moves.
in the other direction its for spin (drum rotates)

If this coupler rotates freely might be motor connector, specially check the red cable.

i hope helps.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »

What is the model number of the washer??? With motor sitting on floor, start in spin mode, when motor hums spin shaft as fast as you can by hand. Does it start? Only allow motor to just hum for minimal time when troubleshooting as it's very bad for the capacitor and motor windings. If motor starts by hand, check condition of capacitor and it's connections (red wires). May also be a bad motor switch. You can take the cover off the switch and check the start winding contacts (red and black wire connections).

Eric

Offline rlund

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
I am making the assumption that as long as the motor is humming that the timer is send the right message to the motor. No need to check the motor for power?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »

Not necessarily. The timer supplies power to the motor run winding and start winding separately. You must have power to both in order for it to start. That is why I recommended spinning the shaft by hand when motor is humming to see if it will start. If you are not getting power to the start winding, you should be able to start it by hand. Still waiting for model number.

Eric

Offline rlund

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:29 AM »
Red wire was the key. After swapping out the bad motor coupling when I hooked the wiring harness back to the start switch the male connector that lines up with the red wire from the timer was inadvertantly folded over rather than getting inserted into the harness. I knew it had to be electrical and couldn't figure out why everything except spin and agitate weren't working before I made the repair. Add this to your troubleshooting list for reassembly.

Make certain all male connectors line up and are inserted into the wiring harness!!!

Thanks a ton for your suggestions.

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 28388
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
ApplianceJunk.com first pdf repair guide - Whirlpool Washer Motor Coupler

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 2626
Last post April 28, 2008, 09:44:55 PM