Author Topic: Bottom oven does not bake  (Read 842 times)

Offline PMMorris

• VIP Member
Bottom oven does not bake
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:26:28 AM »
I have an Amana AOGD2750 gas double wall oven. In the middle of baking some bread the lower oven stopped heating. The upper oven works fine in both bake and broil. The lower oven will broil, but in bake mode, the ignitor does not glow and there is no current flow. From the schematic it appears that the K1 relay on the lower oven relay control board must have failed OR the control signal from the Control Module has failed OR there is a wiring discontinuity. Since it quit in the middle of baking, I doubt it's wiring, but I'm not an oven tech. I swapped the good ignitor from the upper oven with the lower one and the lower oven still did not light. What other tests might I run? I see that the relay board is NLA so the board has to be repaired (if it can be). Anyone have success with this? And how do I get the board out? Do I have to pull the oven? It's pretty cramped where the board is and I cannot tell how to release the board from the standoffs.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Bottom oven does not bake
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 09:59:23 AM »
Measure voltage across the relay while in bake.  If you get 120vac, the relay is not closing.  Check the voltage to the coil of the relay. There should be some numbers on the relay indicating the coil voltage.  If there is voltage, the relay is bad.  If no voltage, main oven control or wiring is bad.  I'm not familiar with this oven, but if the relay board is difficult to get to, it will probably be easier to remove the oven from the wall. Sometimes there is a top panel that can be removed after pulling the oven partially out.

Offline PMMorris

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 07:38:54 PM »
Follow-up:

With the necessary assistance of a helper, we pulled out the double oven to get at the board. In my case the oven was affixed in the cabinet with 4 screws, plus the gas line and power cord. We had to disconnect the gas line as it was hanging up where the flex line entered the cabinet. Anyway, after removing the top cover, the clips/standoffs which hold the Lower Oven Relay Board in place are much more accessible, as are the various wiring connections. Per the suggestion made here, I checked the voltage across the relay with the bake off and on. With the oven in Bake it should have read 0 VAC, but it read 120 VAC in both ON and OFF, pretty suggestive of a busted relay. We removed the power and pulled the board and there is a very obvious burned spot at one of the relay connections on the PCB. So it's on it's way to the repair shop in Texas. Hopefully they've got a relay to replace the bad one!

Offline PMMorris

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
The lower oven relay board was returned, repaired. Although no test data/QA sheet came with the repaired board, it is clear that they replaced a relay on the board. Today the board was reinstalled, and the board worked as it should. Both ovens now bake and broil.

Since the ovens were out of the wall, I took the opportunity to replace the broiler ignitors for both ovens. The ignitors are threaded out the side of the ovens and the wire nut connections are on the side of oven and are not otherwise accessible.

GE Oven doesn't reach temperature (120-150 Below setting)bAKE

Started by Earl Dryer

Replies: 12
Views: 5551
Last post June 01, 2008, 02:31:32 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool oven "bake" setting doesn't light up.

Started by jaworf

Replies: 6
Views: 4621
Last post August 10, 2008, 08:33:54 AM
by jaworf
Admiral Oven turning itself off after about 15-20 sec after set to bake

Started by Redman

Replies: 1
Views: 1500
Last post December 10, 2008, 03:50:56 AM
by Repair-man
Frigidaire Oven upper element not fully heating up on bake cycle