Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer Not agitating or spinning  (Read 1180 times)

Offline massopust13

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Washer Not agitating or spinning
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:20 PM »
Model GSQ9344EQ0.  Washer fills up, then just humms when it's supposed to agitate.  Drains fine and then does not do anything during the spin cycle either.  I have checked lid switch and it's fine.  I took out the motor and checked the coupler and it seems in good shape.  Nothing broken and the rubber piece seems in good shape.  I've done some reading and it seems like the clutch or transmission might be my next step to check.  Would anyone have any advice please on how to proceed with toubleshooting going forward?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Washer Not agitating or spinning
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
  With motor removed, rotate gearcase input shaft by hand. CCW should cause agitation, CW for spin. Can't find wiring diagram for that machine (1996?). Open the control panel and look for wiring diagram. Either folded up or pasted to back panel. Provide a clear photo of wiring diagram and timer chart. Problem may be with speed switch which is usually bypassed in drain mode.

Eric
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:14:33 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
Any chance someone was messing with the Motor Switch Contacts? Everytime I work on one of these I also clean the contacts on the motor switch and I must admit I did put one contact back on the wrong side of the contact switch and it acted up the same way. Just a thought, check for burn't contact in motor switch.

Offline massopust13

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »
Now let's say for example the problem is the clutch or transmission, if I have the washer put together I should in theory be able to put my hand in the tub and rotate the agitator myself right?  Well the top portion moves clockwise, but the top gets stuck when I try to go counter clockwise.  Plus the bottom portion is totally frozen when I try to go either way.  Am I looking in the wrong area?  Could there be an issue with the agitator itself?  I won't be able to mess with it until morning, but I'm just speculating.  Thank you for any help. 

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »

The clutch is only for spin mode, it has no function during agitation. Your testing of agitator movement is perfectly normal. Did you try my suggestions with regard to operating the gearcase input shaft by hand? Also, need to see photo's of your wiring diagram and timer chart. Need to determine if motor is actually spinning while in agitate or spin, or is it locked and just humming?

Eric

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:17:09 AM »
I would ck my motor connection for a bad connection or wire broken also timer points could be welded together for agitation.
It's not the legacy you leave, it's the lives you impact

Offline Loenow

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »
I WOULD SUGGEST THE FOLLOWING MEASURES:

CHECK THE - DIRECT DRIVE MOTOR COUPLINGS.  MAKE SURE ITS TIGHTLY FITTED TO THE MOTOR, AND THE RUBERS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS COUPLINGS, IS IN GOOD SHAPE.  OTHERWISE, REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE.

SECONDLY, CHECK THE AGITATOR BOLT.   IF WARN OUT, OR NOT TIGHTLY FITTED, REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE.

FINALLY, CHECK THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY.  IF TJHIS IS WARN OUT OR HAS ANY SLIPPAGE IN IT, REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE.

THE GEAR CASE, WOULD BE THE VERY LAST THING TO CHECK FOR POSSIBLE GEAR-CASE-SEAL, OR OIL OIL LEAKAGE.
I HOPE, THIS HELPS....

WhirlPool Cabrio Washer not agitating/spinning fast

Started by Tedebear

Replies: 1
Views: 1504
Last post November 06, 2013, 07:40:41 PM
by Jdm
WhirlPool Cabrio Washer not agitating/spinning fast

Started by Tedebear

Replies: 1
Views: 696
Last post November 09, 2013, 04:42:26 PM
by Jdm
Whirlpool washer not agitating

Started by jdman

Replies: 25
Views: 29428
Last post January 18, 2013, 10:28:43 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer not Spinning

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1756
Last post June 04, 2008, 10:26:10 PM
by TechnicianBrian
whirlpool not agitating or spinning

Started by mrceezee

Replies: 15
Views: 7324
Last post July 24, 2008, 04:23:20 PM
by Repair-man
Whirlpool washer - will not fill after spin cycle, starts agitating without wate

Started by tomaszkr

Replies: 7
Views: 4627
Last post January 18, 2009, 06:01:17 PM
by JWWebster