Author Topic: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Series 11 (S/N 62...) will not run  (Read 393 times)

Offline DAJ

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Series 11 (S/N 62...) will not run
« on: October 01, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
We have a 15yr old Neptune.  It had the Q6/R11/wax motor repair in 2004 and the motor/motor control replaced in 2011 and worked fine until a few days ago.  Now, when you push the Start button, in ANY timer position, the ON light comes on and the machine begins whatever function is selected, but shuts off after EXACTLY 10 seconds.  You can restart the machine and slowly step through a cycle, but it shuts down repeatedly at 10 seconds.  This occurs even in the Delay mode, when the machine is doing nothing except running the timer motor.

I have run all the motor/motor control tests and it all checks OK.  If I disconnect JP4 on the control board and the L/N (black/white wire) connector and connect a cheater cord in its place, and plug directly into an outlet, the drum turns at 50rpm as advertised, and will do so indefinitely.  If I put the timer in delay mode, disconnect JP4 (with L/N plug connected) and push the Start switch, the drum will turn at 50rpm for EXACTLY 10 seconds.

This all seemed to indicate a failed main control board, but I replaced that with a new one, and the machine acts exactly the same.  I have selectively disconnected almost everything in the machine - motor, main/recirculate pumps, water valves, etc. - and as long as the control board has power, it will operate for 10 seconds and then quit.  The only other thing common to all functions is the timer, so I removed it, pulled the contact module off, and visibly examined and manually tested (ohmed) every set of contacts, and found no problems.  The timer motor, when connected to external power with the cheater cord, functions normally.

I could proceed to replace the timer, motor, and motor control, but I fear that I will throw all that money at a 15yr old machine (still in excellent condition otherwise, however) and it still won't work.

Any thoughts or suggestions (other than buy a new one!)?

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Re: Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Series 11 (S/N 62...) will not run
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Boy, you've got a strange one there...and no replies.

I have the same washer and really like it. I replaced the control board along with the wax motor several years ago and all has been well.

Yours almost sounds like the logic has been corrupted in the IC on the main board.

I hope you get it running again. I wish I could help.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:00:00 AM by def »
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline DAJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:44 AM »
Thanks for the sympathetic understanding.  I've scoured the internet for clues, to no avail.  My first thought was a processor problem on the main board, but I substituted another board and had the same problem.  At this point, I'm considering just getting a new machine, considering the age of this one.  Sad thing is, other than this problem the machine is in excellent condition. :-\

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »
 My experience with this problem is that it has to do with the main board not receiving the information it needs from the motor circuit.The original design of the motor and motor board were faulty and the replacement is the upgraded version. Series 11 is the original which has a thin plastic sheet covering one side. In the later version the board is surrounded by a hard plastic shell. The part number is 12002039. Pricey though

Offline DAJ

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »
Yes, we did the motor conversion in 2011.  One of my first considerations was failed communication from the motor controller, maybe a bad tach.  However, the motor test using an external power cord checked OK, which, according to the manual, means the motor and controller are OK.  Also, the same problem occurs when the timer is in the "Delay" mode, when the main board is running the timer motor but is not looking for any inputs from anywhere else in the machine.  Thus, I was thinking the board is seeing an input that *shouldn't* be there, but all the timer circuits check OK.  And that's where I am now...

Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue

Replies: 8
Views: 11790
Last post February 09, 2013, 07:41:01 AM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 72862
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Won't Drain Water / Smell

Started by mightymac

Replies: 22
Views: 32443
Last post February 15, 2013, 04:35:03 PM
by def
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW

Started by BOB V

Replies: 5
Views: 4962
Last post December 22, 2007, 06:36:49 AM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW

Started by scubachris

Replies: 5
Views: 4144
Last post December 22, 2007, 10:28:27 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Mah4000aww will not go through cycles or spin...

Started by Mudd222

Replies: 11
Views: 8019
Last post April 23, 2013, 11:14:30 AM
by def