Get Answers to your Appliance Repair Questions

Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Frigidaire refrigerator with ice forming on back of refrigerator  (Read 1169 times)

Offline tagarman

• Technician
Hello everyone, I'm working on a Frigidaire French door refrigerator with bottom freezer and icemaker located in the top fresh food section.  The model no. is: FGHB2869LFA and the serial no. is: 4A22507926.  This unit is 3 years old and there is a ball of ice forming on the back outside of the refrigerator where the icemaker is located.  When the refrigerator shuts off some of the ice will melt and drip onto the wood floor.   I added some pictures of this for you all to see.  There is no way to access anything from the rear since it is all sealed.  If I remove the icemaker and shelves from inside I might be able to access this but I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do to repair this.    I ran into this once before with a different customer but I can't remember what the outcome on this was as she was fighting with Frigidaire and the appliance store that she bought the unit from.  I don't know if it got repaired or they gave her a new refrigerator.  If anyone has run into this and knows if anything can be done, please let me know.  I thank you for any help you might be able to give me.  Have a happy 4th. of July holiday!  Tom

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Frigidaire refrigerator with ice forming on back of refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 08:40:12 AM »
call frigidaire
they have a blanket kit that adhears to the back to help resolve that issue. You also rebuild the ice room with all new gaskets. The kit ships directly to the homeowner and will take you about 1.5hrs to install everything

Offline tagarman

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I called Frigidaire customer service and the lady there said I needed to install a Moisture Kit but would not give me the part no.  She said the only one that can get this is the Frigidaire Factory Service Techs and my customer needs to call them to come out and fix it and she will be charged for the service call, labor & part.  Isn't that a line of (you know what)!  I can't fix it cause I can't get the part.  I did ask the customer to call me with the part no when Frigidiare comes out to repair it so I will have it in the future.  If any one knows the part no, please let me know and thanks again for your help.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
That is going to be an issue
In my covo with the tech line getting cases started so this kit would cost about 7-8bills if you tried to buy it. Frigidaire keeps that stuff locked down and don't offer it forsale. Frigidaire is fronting  the cost of the kit and paying labor for it to be installed
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:01:00 AM by mz3own »

Offline Consejero

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
I have the same problem, and the exact pictures as you posted, and a contracted technician is coming out this afternoon.  Luckily for us, it's still under the warranty we purchased through Home Depot.  Any idea what causes this issue?  We were told the evaporator located behind the ice maker, build up condensation, which then drips into the insulation causing it to erode quickly.  Thus, the reason the ice is forming on the outside and inside, as the fan is fan is continuing freeze and not knowing it needs to stop.  I was told I was "cooling," my kitchen and throwing money away, and the food in my fridge.  It was warm up top, and a little cooler down below. 

Offline LedDuck

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
Anybody have any luck with resolution or a fix?  I have an Electrolux with the same problem.  I had purchased a 5 year extended warranty from a local appliance company 4 1/2 years ago when I bought it.  When the appliance technician came out, he called it a manufacturer defect, and cannot be fixed.  Said cooling coils were too close to back of fridge and moisture in the air was freezing to back of refrigerator and freezing up.  Warranty claim reimbursed me the amount I paid for the fridge and didn't want it back.  I want to keep it as a spare fridge in my garage, but wondering if there is a way to fix it.  Can just insulating the back, or using a can of Great Stuff foam fix the issues?  Thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank  you.

Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problems

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 14686
Last post June 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
by kcfinch
Frigidaire Refrigerator not cooling anymore :(?

Started by yahoo

Replies: 4
Views: 10281
Last post March 29, 2008, 08:19:36 AM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Refrigerator Won't Make Ice

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6447
Last post April 09, 2008, 07:35:03 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Cooling Properly