Author Topic: Fridgidaire - LFEF3018LWA (Circuit board bake damaged, replaced, damaged again.)  (Read 1057 times)

Offline FinneyDe

• VIP Member
Hey guys I have a Fridgidaire oven thats being a mess.

The model number is LFEF3018LWA.  I'll try to explain what I have going on and look forward to getting some help.

Let me start out with what I know... which in the oven world, is next to nothing.  I've got a volts reader, and know how to use that, and often do on cars, but I just get nervous working on something like a oven thats in the house...

We noticed the oven wouldn't get above 150 (this is us guessing, we didn't have any way to measure the heat) when it all started.  I pulled the back panels off, and was just nosing around before I started to volt anything up, and saw that the circuit board bake prong was completely fried.  He got so hot to the point that it damaged the connector also.  I replaced the board, and connector thinking perhaps the relay had something very faulty in it, and that a new board was just needed.

The new board came, and it seemed to work fine - pushing her into the normal bake cycle, the connector again started to get hot, more then it should from what I thought - but after reaching the desired temperature it wouldn't put off as much heat, so I wasn't sure if this was normal .  I caught the wife cooking on it a few days later, and I could smell something electrical burning from the oven, which I then realized, its not normal.  Unplug'd her, removed the covers, and I am starting to get the same electrical damage from to much juice hitting the bake option again on the circuit board.  Nothing else is damaged or showing signs of getting to hot.

The broil works fine, no heat issues, the bake however, is whats is putting a very high amount of heat on my board,  I haven't broken the new board yet... so until I get some help, we're a broilin' bunch.

I'm not sure what to check next, where to look, I have no technical manual of this oven, I didn't even read the bake element or anything of that nature because when it comes to ovens, I'm lost.

Any help would be great guys.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
If there's a burnt connector, it's good to replace the terminal and wiring.  Cut off a few inches of wire.  When I strip the insulation, I like to see shiny copper. If it's burnt looking, it will continue to overheat.  I use salvaged wires with terminals because factory crimping is hard to replicate. Use a good wire nut to splice it.

Offline FinneyDe

• VIP Member
Thanks for the tips - I'll check into it and get back to ya' with whats going on.

Offline rego

• Technician
  • Quality Service You Can Afford
    • Reges Service and Repair
I have had a bake element that was going bad back feed the relay on the board.  May want to visually check for any deformity's on the element.  Look for wear spots or corrosion any sign of sparks on element.  Just a thought on something else to look for.

Most likely what Tgoods said, loose or bad connection's are common on appliance and will burn up.

Offline FinneyDe

• VIP Member
Hey guys.  Just posting back had some time to toy with the oven this weekend, getting sick of frozen meals... ;(

I peal'd back a bit on the burnt connector and it didn't seem to have gotten to the wiring, either way I'm ordering a new connector and will redo the wiring if I cannot find a replacement as you've suggested.

I also took the time to check out the element real fast, and it seems like its in good condition - doesn't have any of the factors you've mentioned.  Either way the help is great, I'll try to attach some pictures also so you guys can see.

As you can see in the pictures above - some real heat getting put into it.  I checked the wire along the whole route and it doesn't seem to have any loose connections, I had to destroy the plastic connector just to get it unplug'd...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 10:21:11 AM by FinneyDe »

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
good work.  probably just changing the female side of the spade connection will do it.  when you have a bad connection it is usually good to do both sides because they would do that because they were making poor contact (and/or because the element itself was putting heavy load on the connection.  Hard to imagine that a short or higher resitance spot in the element could hold out as long as the problem has been in going but I think Rego is right that it only makes sense to give the element and element connections a really good look.

brian

Offline FinneyDe

• VIP Member
I didn't want to be the guy that just "left" the topic unresolved.

First off thanks for the help guys.  I replaced the harness, and the bake plug with a new one, cleaned the connection on the circuit board bake prong, and now there is no extreme heat coming off the board when using bake for the oven.

So in short - replacing plastic harness, bake connector, and cleaning the connector on the board did the trick.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
Good job. Thanks for the update.

12001691 Jenn-Air Bake, Broil, Convection Relay Board with Shield

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5523
Last post November 17, 2009, 11:00:59 AM
by AJ
Replaced Frigidaire FEF366DSE Oven Bake Element, still no heat.

Started by adobeaid

Replies: 5
Views: 1939
Last post December 16, 2011, 09:36:44 PM
by adobeaid
Maytag oven not reaching the correct temp, replaced the oven control board.

Started by Ol' Lonely

Views: 935
Last post March 26, 2012, 09:45:17 AM
by Ol' Lonely
Bake Element not working. Is it the thermostat or controller board?

Started by leorosi

Replies: 14
Views: 1976
Last post May 20, 2013, 09:03:54 PM
by tgoods
Whirlpool Electric Range - Bake Cycle Not Working

Started by AJ

Views: 3648
Last post January 01, 2008, 03:44:30 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Range Bake Element Not Heating