Author Topic: Maytag Gemini lower bake element issue with other issues  (Read 442 times)

Offline andygold

• VIP Member
Maytag Gemini lower bake element issue with other issues
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:04 PM »
I have a Maytag Gemini MER6550AAW electric stove with double oven.

Everything seems to be working except for the lower bake portion.  The element does heat up, but sometimes it will max at 230F and sometimes it will go as high as 290F.  It takes a very long time to heat to these temperatures and all during this time I can hear relays clicking on and off every 5-30 seconds.

Another thing from troubleshooting...the top oven's bake and broiler both work.  The bottom oven's broiler works.  But...if I turn on both oven's bake cycles at the same time, neither will work.  Be advised, both ovens will broil properly at the same time.

I've read that it could be the lower bake element, the control board, relays, temperature switch, door switch, bad solder joints, and a few other things.  I would like to try to repair it myself as I cannot afford a service call or a new oven.

I've been looking for a repair manual (I have an owner's manual) for this oven but I've been unable to find one.  I own a multimeter (with alligator clip ends), and have advanced soldering skills if necessary, but no technical knowledge on using the meter for testing purposes.

For example to test the lower heating element, do I test ohms (i'm assuming when the oven is off), on the outside surface of element, or at it's wires, or maybe it needs to be totally removed from the circuit.  Or do I test for 240 volts at the element's wires with the element still connected, or detached?  That's the big issue...my ignorance.  I can do the testing if I have some truly step by step guidance.

Don't know if this is related or not (I'm assuming it is totally unrelated), but a few weeks earlier, my wife says that she saw flames coming out of the stove's right rear coil burner's opening where the element connects to the clamp.  I pulled it apart and looked inside and saw no evidence of any residual food or anything that might have caught fire.  Th element was cleaned and reinserted and it has been working properly ever since.

Offline andygold

• VIP Member
Re: Maytag Gemini lower bake element issue with other issues
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
Some additional info...I threw and reset the double breaker in the electrical panel just for the heck of it, and tried some other things.  Now, the bottom oven on bake won't go above 210F, but now unlike before,  the top oven is working while the bottom one is switched on.  With the bottom one on and sitting at 210F (and not wanting to go any higher) the top was baking at 350F as set, and the top heated up rapidly as expected.

Why at one point would neither work simultaneously, and then a few minutes later both would work (although the bottom oven wasn't going higher or lower than 210F)?

Can a heating element be "bad", but still work a bit?  Is it all or nothing when it comes to elements?

Maybe a dumb question, but if only one leg of a dual leg circuit breaker was working, could this be the cause of the issue?

W10276482 Maytag Range Oven Bake Element

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3492
Last post July 30, 2009, 04:26:41 PM
by AJ
Maytag Range Model WW27430P Bake element question?

Started by Sue

Replies: 2
Views: 886
Last post December 11, 2011, 08:02:45 AM
by Sue
Maytag Gemini Temp Sensor Problem

Started by csala

Replies: 3
Views: 4685
Last post December 17, 2007, 10:25:04 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Range Bake Element Not Heating