Author Topic: Career in the trade...Is it worth it nowadays?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Re: Career in the trade...Is it worth it nowadays?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
I think Sears would be an excellent place to get started.

They will give you two tests:

One is an ethics test that will ask about how much you can justifiably steal from your employer, whether you like to beat people up or not, and other similar questions.  Answer that one from the employer's perspective and you should do ok.

The other one is mostly on how to use a volt-ohm meter, and the wiring in typical sockets.  If you know basic household electric, and are familiar with the meter's use, you should pass that one no problem.

I passed the tests, but didn't make it through the interview because my appliance repair experience was in my own business.  I guess they were concerned that either I would not do it their way, or would be side-jobbing them with their customers.  Seems like a reasonable concern.

Good luck.

Offline HandyManTex

• Technician
Re: Career in the trade...Is it worth it nowadays?
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 10:22:17 AM »
Thanks Andersen. Yeah, I already took the ethics test. I guess I passed that one since they called. LOL. Thanks for the heads-up on the second test. Looks like I need to refresh myself on basic electrical. I'm self-taught with everything I know, so a lot of times I don't do as well on the test portions and the "official" ways of doing things. The property management company I work part-time for has some great online courses, one of them being basic electrical. I will take that this weekend.

That seems a bit nuts on their end for not hiring you because you were self-employed. I think you are probably right...they may have thought they couldn't "mold" you the way they wanted to.

Thanks again!

Appliance repair, a dying trade?

Started by whirlpooltech

Replies: 15
Views: 5495
Last post February 09, 2013, 06:41:11 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Countertop Blender worth bothering with?

Started by Agrajag

Replies: 2
Views: 1824
Last post October 13, 2008, 04:12:04 PM
by Agrajag
Is appliance repair a good career choice?

Started by learning

Replies: 21
Views: 8100
Last post March 13, 2009, 05:46:43 PM
by Icehouse
Trade Forecast

Started by MikeP

Replies: 0
Views: 897
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:51:17 PM
by MikeP
Trade related stocks.