Author Topic: Amana dishwasher...can't open the door...latch broken  (Read 2806 times)

Offline pinecone

• VIP Member
Amana dishwasher...can't open the door...latch broken
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »
My Amana ADB2500AWW purchased in 2006 has a broken latch.  It had just finished a load of dishes, I tried to open it, the latch broke, now the handle just flops loosely, and I can't open the door to get my dishes out or to repair it.  I'm also not able to pull it out of the cabinet because of the plastic strips on the sides and top of the dishwasher that are screwed to the cabinet.  These are the sound control strips that also hold the machine in place and to properly remove the screws from the surrounding wood frame you have to open the door, which I can't do.  So far I've ripped loose or cut all the screws along the top, but ripping loose all the screws up and down the sides will be difficult and cause visible damage to the wood.

Questions:  Is there any way to open the door without ripping/cutting those screws?   If I do have to do that, will I then be able to get the door open somehow once I pull the machine out of the cabinet? 

I always liked my Amana appliances, but now suddenly not so much.  Any ideas how I can solve this mess?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Amana dishwasher...can't open the door...latch broken
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
Even though the handle broke, you should be able to open the door by giving it a good yank.

Offline pinecone

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:51:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, I gave it a try....  however, no matter how hard I pull on the door handle, it won't open.

I've read in several places that other people have found that to be a good solution, but so far it doesn't work on my machine.  But anyway, thanks for the response.

Offline MajorApp

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »
This is hard to explain but  get a flashlight and a narrow flat blade screwdriver. Look above the broken handle and in the center of the door latch there will be a white colored plastic section. Poke the screwdriver in between that piece and you will get a feel of how it works, it's springy. You have to push hard on that section to release the latch. There isn't much room between the handle and the top of the door frame. Be careful not to bend the door frame to the breaking point. If you buy the new latch you can see how it operates.    http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Latch/W10130697/1266730?modelNumber=ADB2500AWW
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:36:46 PM by MajorApp »

Offline pinecone

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
   "You have to push hard on that section to release the latch."  ....from MajorApp

YES! It worked!  I got the door open without causing any more damage.  For anyone else trying this:  I first carefully removed about 2/3 of the door handle because I needed better visibility.  I did this by drilling away some of the plastic from the middle of the door handle, then using sheet metal cutters and needle nose pliers.  Then I was able to really see what I was doing.

Thanks for all the detailed instructions and ordering info for the latch assembly.  I'll go ahead and order it and hopefully get my machine back up and running.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:51:29 PM by pinecone »

Amana dishwasher- door hard to open- not opening at all

Started by leish19

Replies: 2
Views: 8082
Last post July 28, 2008, 08:12:57 PM
by whirlpooltech
Maytag dishwasher door latch

Started by apple

Replies: 1
Views: 1806
Last post June 09, 2008, 05:32:18 PM