Author Topic: New to the biz....  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Abitawheat

• Technician
New to the biz....
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:12:13 AM »
Currently attending classes in OH. Plan on going back home to get started. Would love exposure to experienced vets of this industry. Thanks,

Wayne

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: New to the biz....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:28:15 AM »
Please tell us a bit about the class you are attending. When did you start the class? When do you graduate?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Abitawheat

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
Please tell us a bit about the class you are attending. When did you start the class? When do you graduate?

Sure,
It's Fred's appliance academy in Madison OH & I "graduate" this coming friday (class started on the 4th).

Wayne

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 05:40:01 PM »
What kinda Hands on training do the teach.   Do they use the latest electronic models as well as the imports in the training.    Last what is the expense of the training & lodging?
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »
The class is three weeks long then?
Do they cover refrigeration too?

Offline Abitawheat

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:07:09 PM »
The training lasts three weeks which equates to 112 actual hours of training. Of that time refrigerators are 29 hours and freezers are 21 hours of attention (epa cert had to be obtained prior to attending class). The break down is probably 50/50 between lecture and hands on learning. There are something like 200+ appliances that are there to be broken down and observed. Both new and old technologies have been covered. He tries to cover what he sees the most repairs of in his repair business. 
The cost ain't cheap! It runs $3800 but that does include room and board (he owns apartments two blocks away) as well as daily lunch. The last day of class he administers nastec and psa exams (fees for taking them is included). I spent 15 years in sales w/ 0 experience as any type of svc tech, but i have always enjoyed taking things apart and I do have a decent electrical foundation. I figured it would look good to a potential employer that I took the initiative to go through this.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
Cool, glad you found us.
Let us know if we can help you with anything and best of luck to you.

Our google drive contains hundreds of appliance repair service manuals, maybe you will find it helpful.
http://appliancejunk.com/googledrive

Offline Abitawheat

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
Cool, glad you found us.
Let us know if we can help you with anything and best of luck to you.

Our google drive contains hundreds of appliance repair service manuals, maybe you will find it helpful.
http://appliancejunk.com/googledrive

Awesome thanks! Think i might be spending quite a bit of time here.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
We hope so. :)

Offline Abitawheat

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Oops, just realized that in my initial post i didn't ask to be upgraded to "technician". My brain is fried from too much studying.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »
Upgraded...  O0

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:22:28 PM »
Where is Home ... we may have a job for you!!!
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
Sounds like money well spent.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline Abitawheat

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 09:57:51 PM »
Where is Home ... we may have a job for you!!!

I reside just SE of Nashville TN. Might be a long commute to OR :) But seriously i do appreciate the interest. I'm looking to get my hands dirty and learn as I go. The education I'm receiving will certainly help. Heck I'll probably offer to fix appliances for some local charities, allow me to serve & get some experience in the process. That's a win-win for sure.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 01:57:58 AM »
Just curious,  how many people were in the class?   I had investigated starting an appliance training program with a local vocational school,   but the paperwork and effort that would be needed to get grants , etc.   would be overwhelming.   According to the director of the school.     I had this idea 20 years ago.    Didn't know if it would be financially feasible.      Fred beat me to it.   My idea was for it to be more like a 1000+  hours of school,   bringing in all the manufactures trainers,  reps,   and also train on commercial products.   Maybe splitting it up into different classes.        You attended class in my service area.

I'm getting old,   who knows,  I still might pursue something like that.    Something that there would be no other thing like it in the country.    I have been talking about this with 2 of my close friends that are techs and getting old like me.    Get the best instructors,  older experienced people who could train the new generation.     And bring in the engineers and trainers from all the factories.   Lots of Lab work with hands on.   Even an internship feature where your class would be in the truck with actual technicians for 2 or 3 months as part of the class.    Almost like a Television station that has internships.   

Abitawheat,  at least now you have the basics -  you do need alot of experience but you have a jump on the techs just starting out that have 0 hours training.  A bit of advice,  take some time and learn to read schematics.   Read this websight regularly.    I have been at this 40 years,  and I learn alot from reading the knowledge imparted on me from the other techs here.    No matter how much you think you know,   remember that you don't know everything.    Every day should be a learning experience.   I've trained alot of techs,   and the moment of truth is when you are in someones house alone and have to make the diagnosis and repair.     Nobody to fall back on.    You have to figure it out and fix it.   Whatever it is.    That is where it really helps to read this websight,  read,  have all your training,  etc.    Read all the service manuals you can.    And don't be afraid to post things and ask.    We are all glad to help you.     

Good luck.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present