365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: Early day - I loved it.  (Read 163 times)

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
Early day - I loved it.
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:00:30 AM »
After a long Wednesday and Thursday,   I just didn't feel like working much.   So........ I sceduled only 7 calls today.  I had alot more I could have done,  but just needed time to relax a little.    Most of them were easy,   was done by 12:00.   So what to do with the afternoon off.    Hmmmmm

Met my one friend for lunch and had some great pasta,   then went to Sears and Harbor freight afterwords.   Bought a new cheap meter at sears for my "little toolbox" I'm assembling.     Must have been in Harbor freight for over an hour.    Only spent 40 bucks ---  not bad for me.   Ended the afternoon by going to bank,  making a deposit for the last few days,   and got home by 4:00.   

I think I'm gonna do this more often,  work my ass off for 4 days and relax a little on friday's.  Any body else ever blow off an afternoon.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: Early day - I loved it.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:56 AM »
If I did 7 calls per day, I wouldn't be home till aft 5pm.  I'm spread out all over the place.

If I did 4 calls per day, I could be done by 2 pm then maybe relax somewhere under a tree.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:06:27 AM »
Same here, spend 4 hours a day driving to calls to get a full day. That is even when scheduling is close together. Rural area driving explains it all. 5 miles by GPS yet 8-10 miles to get there and on 2 lane roads (if lucky)

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »
I'm envious. I'm dong 10 to 12 calls a day for the evil empire. Start at 7:30. Home by 9...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »
Low, Home at 9?/   Man, they are working your ass off.   But.........That's why your getting the big bucks.   That does suck after a while.  That's why I love working for myself.    Can do what the hell I want. 

Wild,  only 7 calls takes to 5 for you.   That's too bad.   Often times,  I have 7 calls done by 1 in afternoon.  Also, depends on calls.   Usually it's a mixture though.   couple easy ones,  couple hard ones.   My key is I have dense clusters of customers.     Tomorrow,  for instance,  My first 4 calls are whithin 5 minutes of each other,  then another 3 in the neighboring city.   Based on what I think they will be,  I should have 7 calls done by 11 o clock.   

Old stove,  Don't have much rural area by me.    But at least your relaxed.   We've both been in this thing a long time.    One of these days,  I'll cut back to 6 or 7 calls a day.  But not yet..........  Just give myself an afternoon once in a while.

Offline gscrandall

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
7-13 a day. depending on distance. Usually home by 4-5  90% finished  with parts on hand. Stay away from the high end appliances as much as I can...There time suckers and more pain, require more ordering and return trips. bitchier customers.  And I wish I could get away 2-3 days before thanksgiving.  People decide to self clean (locked Doors) or get there 2 month broken oven fixed the day before and upset cause I cant get the part right away.  And lately I find I really like the down time. The moneys good but my back is starting to not be good. 1 more thing. Do any of you find your self mopping the floor behind an appliance yourself cause you don't really want to wait 20 minutes for the picky lady to mop it her self  ???  or stand in there eyesight of the dirt...

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
7-13 a day. depending on distance. Usually home by 4-5  90% finished  with parts on hand. Stay away from the high end appliances as much as I can...There time suckers and more pain, require more ordering and return trips. bitchier customers.  And I wish I could get away 2-3 days before thanksgiving.  People decide to self clean (locked Doors) or get there 2 month broken oven fixed the day before and upset cause I cant get the part right away.  And lately I find I really like the down time. The moneys good but my back is starting to not be good. 1 more thing. Do any of you find your self mopping the floor behind an appliance yourself cause you don't really want to wait 20 minutes for the picky lady to mop it her self  ???  or stand in there eyesight of the dirt...

LOL I totally offer to clean up the mess so I dont have to wait. Plus I look like a nice guy. O0 O0

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
Yeah,  I usually grab the rag and clean.   That way you look conciencius.    What I hate,  like today,  had to pull the cabinet off a 20 year old direct drive,  and the obsessive - compulsive clean freak lady got a look at the black "gunk" around inside of outer tub.    Then,  I pulled off the ring on the top,  and she saw plenty of black gunk.    I had to replace a bad pump.  She freaked out when she saw it.    So.............. I could see she was really bothered.   (this place was about 10 minutes from my house).    I told her I would leave it apart,  and stop on the way home to re-assemble to allow her to clean.   She was very happy.     I stopped back on the way home (quit early to go vote) and threw it back together.   

Result - happy customer,    she will keep refering me to other people,     and  she gave me a 30 dollar tip on top.     Didn't take me out of my way coming home,   so that is the way I handle that sort of stuff.

Offline gscrandall

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
When I work on the direct drives I try not to take the cabinet off if I can help it.  I change the pumps, couplings, transmitions, clutches all from under the machine. I balance the machine against the wall. Much easier once you get used to it. that way the customer don't see the dirt and its much faster. I have a floor mat in case the floor is nasty. . even when I change the lid switches I just remove the cabinet  part way tillted back enough to screw the ground to the cabinet so the little old lady don't see the dirt..

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:25:46 AM »
Unfortunatly,  on this one,  it was a leaker.    I like to be sure there are no other leaks other than pump.   Depends on situation.    Most people don't want to do this.   I just happened on mrs clean  lol.