Author Topic: Whirlpool LSN3000WP4 Top Load Washer will not drain completely.  (Read 673 times)

Offline kswhirlpoolhelp

• VIP Member
Hello. I have been reading this forum for a while tonight and can't seem to find a solution to my problem.

The problem: The Washer, a Whirlpool LSN3000WP4, won't drain like it should. The clothes are still very wet at the end of the cycle.

What it does: It fills the basket, goes through the wash cycle (Agitator spins), it sounds like the motor is running when it should drain but the basket doesn't spin and the water does not drain completely.

What I have done: I thought it might be the lid switch so I tested it with an Ohmmeter. The two left prongs would open/close the circuit so that seemed to be in good shape. Then I pulled the pump off of the direct drive motor, inspected the pump which was free of debris and appeared to be in good shape (no cracks, the wheel inside was in good shape and it spun freely when I turned it. Then I pulled the motor out and looked at the coupler which was completely fine (No broken pieces and it was not worn). Then I cut a wire hanger and ran it up the drain hose both into the basket and then the hose that goes to the drain. Both were not plugged up. Lastly I poped the top of the basket off and looked down in between the basket and the plastic barrel and made sure there was nothing in there.

I am stumped and would love some suggestions.

Thank you

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool LSN3000WP4 Top Load Washer will not drain completely.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:27:14 AM »
  If the lid switch was bad, the motor wouldn't function at all. Run machine with cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. After washer drains for about 2 minutes, the motor must pause for a few seconds to shift the gearcase out of neutral. Then it starts again for spin. After the motor pauses and starts again, observe the clutch hub. If it is not spinning, the gearcase is faulty. If it is spinning, the clutch may be bad or there is something wrong with the basket drive/brakes or the tub drive block is worn out. Since the washer won't completely drain, there may be clothing down at the bottom between the tubs at the exit hole into the drain hose. This could also be preventing the washer from spinning (clutch slipping).

Eric

Lid switch bypass:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:27:55 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline kswhirlpoolhelp

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
Thank you. I will give that a shot.

Offline kswhirlpoolhelp

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
Just thought I would let you know that the clutch was indeed bad. When I pulled it off it I was able to spin it with medium force. I am picking up the replacement today.

What would cause a clutch to go bad other than normal wear and tear? Too many clothes washed at once?

I am also going to post a link that I found helpful when taking the clutch out for folks who might run into the same issue here -->

Thanks again.

8181684 Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Drain Pump

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 11539
Last post March 12, 2009, 12:20:48 AM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Duet Front Load Washer Water Pump Clean Out.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7033
Last post November 28, 2007, 09:58:47 PM
by AJ
whirlpool washer model LXR9245EQ1- won't drain-slow spin

Started by fixmeplz

Replies: 2
Views: 6728
Last post January 16, 2008, 10:13:02 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer Slow to Drain