My Kitchen Aid KSRG25FVMT00 recently stopped cooling for long periods of time (upwards of 8+ hours). Freezer temps were getting into the 40s. Both the fridge and freezer were not cooling. But then after having the doors open for a few trying to figure out what's wrong it would start cooling perfectly. This happened several days in a row, but then it started working perfectly for a few days. Then 2 days of intermittent cooling and today we are ok?
Here are my observations:
- The main problem is that the fridge will go for hours without turning on the compressor. The freezer will rise up to 40 degrees, the fridge also starts to warm.
- If I mess with it enough I can get the compressor to turn on, the doors are open while I'm observing/tinkering.
- When the compress runs, it cools perfectly!
- When the compressor is on, the fan inside the the freezer DOES turn on. When I the compressor is running, I can feel air being pushed into the fridge section at the top.
- There is not a frost build up (I checked the coils).
- I witnessed the defrost system running and turning off in a timely manner. Makes me thing the defrost thermostat is fine (or at least it worked the time I watched it).
- The system always wants to make ice, I think this is interesting. If there is ice to be made, the compress runs!
- Most of the time the fridge works fine!
I can't narrow my decision on where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!