Author Topic: Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling  (Read 4331 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:24:48 PM »

Model #HTS20GBNCWW, this refrigerator just stopped cooling and with the exception of the interior light, appeared to be dead. Since the wiring for this unit is pretty basic, I tried turning the screw for the defrost timer to see if it might be stuck in defrost and sure enough the compressor and fans started running again. The defrost timer will shut the cooling components down and turn the defrost heater on to keep the unit frost free. Sometimes the timers will operate and put the unit into defrost, but will fail to exit the cycle and return the unit to it's normal cooling routine. For this reason, whenever I have a refrigerator with a defrost problem, I will always start a defrost cycle and make sure it exits the cycle by itself before I pronounce the unit working. Replaced the defrost timer iconwith a new one and now the thing cools, and defrosts properly.

HTS20GBNCWW

Offline mloza82

• VIP Member
Re: Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
Hi Brian, I have this very exact fridge. I also had an issue with the defrost cycle luckly you post helped me correct the issue. But now I've got water overflowing from the drain pan in the freezer into the fridge. I cannot locate the drain pan nor do I know how to clear the stoppage which is creating the overflow. Please help... thank you. :)

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Hotpoint Refrigerator Not Cooling
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »
It is probably in the bottom of the freezer in the rear.  The panel must be removed to access the drain which will be on the bottom. So it is easy for a small piece of paper like a popsicle wrapper to get in the drain.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 1772
Last post May 14, 2008, 08:28:39 PM
by TechnicianBrian

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 3
Views: 2999
Last post July 01, 2008, 11:18:38 PM
by JWWebster

Started by no user name

Replies: 29
Views: 15007
Last post February 06, 2010, 04:44:36 AM
by no user name
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 5789
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 6645
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark
Amana Refrigerator ABB2227DES not cooling.

Started by dex

Replies: 9
Views: 7028
Last post October 31, 2007, 10:35:34 PM
by rickgburton