Author Topic: Samsung RFG293HABP freezer not cooling  (Read 1045 times)

Offline soflomag

• VIP Member
Samsung RFG293HABP freezer not cooling
« on: October 16, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Hey experts, I'm a little stumped.  I have a french door Samsung refrigerator with the freezer section on the bottom.  I'm having an issue with the freezer not maintaining temperature and not matching the temperature on the control panel.  Recently we noticed the icemaker wasn't keeping up, then finally this week, the food in the freezer was starting to thaw.  The refrigerator section is fine, keeping temps well and staying at the set point.  The freezer section just isn't cooling.  With a set point of -2F, the display reads -2F but the temperature in the freezer is reading 20F on an analog thermometer. 

What I have done so far: 
Checked the 2 thermistors in the freezer section, one on the freezer ceiling and one on the evaporator, both measure fine for resistance
Checked the evaporator fan in the freezer, operating fine
Self-diagnostic doesn't throw any error codes
Compressor and compressor fan are on as expected

The interesting part is that the evaporator coil in the freezer doesn't seem to be frosting up.  I see a little bit of frost starting at the upper part of the coils when I first power the unit, but when I go back and check 15-20 minutes later, no frost, evaporator coil is cool to the touch, but no frost.  Same behavior when I put it in Power Freeze mode.  This might indicate the sealed system, but I don't understand why the display would read the set point (-2F) without the freezer reaching that temp.  The discrepancy with the display temp is after letting it run overnight.  After powering down and poking around in the freezer, the display matched the compartment temp (60F).  Any ideas on what to check next? 

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Samsung RFG293HABP freezer not cooling
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »
Self-diagnostic doesn't throw any error codes  Does it frost in the freezer evap during diagnostics

Offline soflomag

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »
I didn't check the evaporator coil during the diagnostic, that only runs for a few seconds, right?  Maybe I am not referring to it correctly.  I am calling the self-diagnostic when I hold down 2 buttons until the display beeps and shows any error codes.  I made sure I was doing this right by unplugging a thermistor, running diagnostic, code was returned for freezer sensor. 

Do you mean doing the forced mode compressor run?  I couldn't find a good reference for my model, may try to figure it out based on the other references I found. 

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »
Do you mean doing the forced mode compressor run? Yes, I'm on the run will update more info for you tonight on how to do it. Get you freezer evap cover off.

Offline soflomag

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
Ok, did the forced compressor check.  Started the run, the evap was starting to frost but only on the top coil.  I thought that looked promising.  I closed it up and let it run for about 20 minutes, trying to ignore the beeping.  Opened the door and no frost, just condensation, and the coil is just cool to the touch.  So is this telling me it's the sealed system?

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
Maybe maybe not force the run and leave the cover off how much frost forms and how far down

Offline soflomag

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:11:50 AM »
I did the forced compressor run with the evaporator cover off.  At the start of the run, there was a little frost starting on the first (top) coil.  I closed the freezer door and let it beep at me for about 20 minutes.  Came back and checked the coil and there was no frost on the evaporator, just condensation.  At this point it was just cool to the touch. 

Offline mike12086

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »
Did you ever solve your issue? I am having a similar issue with mine (RF266AB) where everything is testing correctly but the freezer will not cool but the fridge is fine.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »
Did you ever solve your issue? I am having a similar issue with mine (RF266AB) where everything is testing correctly but the freezer will not cool but the fridge is fine.

I would first check the frost pattern in the troubled compartment. Your sealed system is different than the rfg293. Your has two evaps in series and when compressor runs, both evaps remove heat. These models cycle the evap fan depending on call.  O0

Offline mike12086

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:12 AM »
Finally got around to troubleshooting some more. Suspect refrigerant problem. Had to defrost due to plugged drain in fridge. Restarted overnight to only find top coils frosted in fridge (which got to temp) and freezer still not at temp and warmer then fridge. Submitted service request with Samsung since the refrigeration system is about a week away from being out of warranty. Anything else i can test or does it seem like a refrigerant issue? Please move if this should be made into a new topic.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:02:27 AM »
Ref issue

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »
I cam not see the pic well, but it seems you have heavy Frost on first few runs and none on the last, correct?  When checking for frost patterns, you sometimes have to sacrifice an evap cover to ensure accurate diagnosing. By defrosting in any way before,  the evidence has disappeared.  O0

Samsung Refrigerator - Not Cooling - Frig nor Freezer

Started by DCI

Replies: 1
Views: 2531
Last post February 17, 2012, 09:25:50 PM
by AJ
Samsung 266AERS Fridge is cooling appropriately Freezer is cool

Started by Joepilot14

Replies: 13
Views: 1313
Last post April 21, 2014, 02:38:32 PM
by Joepilot14