365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros
Washer Parts | Dryer Parts | Refrigerator Parts | Dishwasher Parts | Range & Oven Parts

Author Topic: Finally did my first GE rear dryer bearing today  (Read 87 times)

Offline nolazach

• Technician
Finally did my first GE rear dryer bearing today
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Don't know why I have never done one before.  I have done tons of the frigidaire bearings, and the Whirlpool rollerblade wheels.  Also many of the mylar/plastic sliders.  Strange never had a GE rear bearing fail.  I knew it would be straight forward, but it is the most complex of the dryer bearings for sure.

Have to take the heating element ring off, then take the bearing cup out, replace it, and the new stop goes on different.

Was surprised by how the drum was harder than expected to put together.  Even using my new trick of magnetron magnets barely helped.  You have to support the rear stainless steel, then have the bearing in place on the rear.  took me a minute to get it.

It may be the best bearing design in conjunction with the plastic slides, as I have never had a call needing this repair before.  Compared to Frigidaire bearings, of which I have done three this month already.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
Re: Finally did my first GE rear dryer bearing today
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
The best tool for putting the drum back together is long arms.  Thank goodness I'm a regular knuckle dragger. O0

Offline gscrandall

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:07 PM »
And long fingers to remove  the lint buildup between those holes in the drums

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 02:04:12 AM »
Company I used to work for was a GE distributor.    I have done hundreds of these over the years.    The easiest way to get the rear Male part / shaft onto the rear of the drum -  I had a jig made for this.      I would insert the shaft into jig,   then line up the rear heat shield onto the jig.     It would line it up perfectly,  then lay the drum on the top.   The weight of the drum would push down,  and then you could screw in the three screws.     

Unfortunatly,   that jig is buried somewhere in my warehouse (garage) and I can't take a pic at this time.    Without the jig,   the secret is to use 2 straight little pics.    I would tape the shaft onto the heat shield,   then lay the drum carefully on top,    then line up 2 of the screw holes and screw in the third.    Once you get the one screw in,   the other two go in easily.     You are right.    GE has a Simple system (that is until they started having Frigidare build their dryers for them),    and you don't really have to change them that often.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:57:16 AM »
I sold a stackable dryer yesterday, that was obviously frigidaire built.  I had it for a while, but a customer called for an electric sryer, and I decided the matching washer was scrap, so sold the dryer.  Right before I sell, I do a quick inside check and saw the frigidaire bearing.  Gave it a good lube real quick. 
  My ge front load washer is frigidaire built as well, (but wont take the frigidaire motor or timer I have from an identical frigidaire machine)  Frigidaire machine has a seized rear bearing, GE machine has a bad motor.  IOn ebay the new motor is $320, so that means strip and scrap that machine, in my opinion. 

Whirlpool Cabrio Bearing Question

Started by blondejon

Replies: 7
Views: 133
Last post May 24, 2012, 06:02:10 PM
by blondejon
MOVED: Frigidaire Dryer Tearing Clothes

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 18
Last post June 08, 2008, 07:06:58 PM
by AJ