Author Topic: How would you fix this??  (Read 539 times)

Offline jason1979g

• Technician
How would you fix this??
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »
how would you go about fixing the ice door flap pin hinge with the ear hole missing.

im thinking about slipping a small washer on it and try to epoxy the washer to whats left. the cavity assy is not available unless you buy the whole door.

#106.56922600

Offline appltech

• Technician
    • Appliance Technology
Re: How would you fix this??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »
I've ran into this exact situation. I told and showed my customer exactly what happened. I explained the only options: buck up and buy the door OR I offered to super glue the piece (customer found it in their cup and kept it) back on. I was very clear that I couldn't guarantee the super glue repair at all...and I documented that on the invoice that they signed. They opted for the super glue. It was a pain in the arse getting everything to line up while holding the piece while the glue dried. I used Gorilla Super Glue. It worked great. Told the customer to be very gentle when they press their cup in there. I never heard back from them...no news is good news I suppose.

If I remember right, that whole assembly was available, but very expensive. Double check on the current availability of that assembly rather than the whole door.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you!

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 09:41:01 AM »
There is a repair kit for this #8201756. Pricey but lots cheaper than a door.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
I've done a few of those kits and it's not a bad job. The metal bracket is held in place with double-sided tape. Make sure it's positioned perfectly before you stick it, because once you stick it, it's stuck for good.

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:23:15 AM »
Drill a hole in the housing and put a sheet metal screw and washer in to retain the shaft, works every time.

Offline lesguns

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:52:20 PM »
Ive done several of those kits and tgoods  is right on.