Author Topic: Screwpop Keychain Magnetic Screwdriver Review  (Read 2874 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
Screwpop Keychain Magnetic Screwdriver Review
« on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
I would like to thank Brett from www.screwpoptool.com for sending us a couple of their new Screwpop magnetic keychain screwdrivers to review.

The Screwpop is a lightweight, compact driver with a magnetic shaft that works with any standard 1/4 inch hex drive bit.

The newest version of the Screwpop has a black painted coating on it and includes a custom Phillips/Flathead bit that fits into the magnetic shaft.

The black painted coating has a nice feel to it and seems to be very durable.

I found the Screwpop screwdriver fits very comfortably in my hand which makes it a pleasure to use.

The circular shaped handle on the Screwpop not only makes it very comfortable to hold in your hand when using it, but it's also makes it very handy to clip onto a carabiner. I clipped mine onto the carabiner that I carry with me daily so it will always be handy when I want to use it.

In using the custom Phillips/Flathead that comes with the Screwpop I found that the phillips bit fits most phillips screws extremely well.

Even though the Screwpop comes with a great custom dual tip Phillips/Flathead bit you can use it with any standard 1/4" hex bit!
Being able to use so many different bits with it lets you customize the Screwpop into many different configurations.

My favorite and most used bit is this #2 phillips bit and it fits my Screwpop just perfectly!

When the bit it removed from the Screwpop it can be used as a standard 1/4 inch nut drive, but what if you want to use it as another size nut drive. Say for example a 5/16" nut drive. No problem, just slip in what ever size 1/4 inch hex drive nut driver bit you want to use with it as shown in the photo below.

I have only had my Screwpop for about a week, but the longer I have it the more uses I seem to find for this incredibly handy little tool.

Some of the uses I'm sure it was not designed for and it may not be the best or safest tool to use for some such uses, but it's one of them tools that is there at the time and handy to use so it gets used. For example, I have found it handy to use the flat blade tip on it to pry open can lids.

Well putting this review together and trying to remember all the things I have used the Screwpop for in the last week I almost forgot about one other thing the Screwpop is capable of doing, opening beer bottles!

Well researching the Screwpop I read a few negative comments online that I would like to address.
One of the comments said, "magnet bit would be better".

I'm thinking this comment was directed towards the first version of the Screwpop (chrome colored) because the new black version I received has a very strong magnet in it.

In fact I did some testing to see just how much I could pick up with it. Using the Screwpop with the custom Phillips/Flathead bit that come with it I was able to pick up this Channellock 804N Adjustable Wrench that weighs 1.7 ounces!

Another comment I read said, "The third time leaving the house with this on my keyring, the bit was lost somewhere".

I will say that the custom Phillips/Flathead bit that comes with the Screwpop does not seem to get held in place as well as my standard bits with the flat bottoms on them. This makes sense because there is just not as much bit surface coming in contact with the magnet that is inside the shaft of the Screwpop.

In any case there seems to be more then enough magnetic strength to keep from losing any bit you choose to use in the Screwpop.

Over all I'm extremely happy with my Screwpop and can't think of a thing I would change with it.

At the beginning of this review I mentioned that Brett sent us two Screwpops! One of them has a new home on my carabiner, but the other one we are going to giveaway to one of our lucky members.

Just post a reply here as to why you want a Screwpop and I will pick a winner at random in a few days.
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Offline dmanleysr

• VIP Member
Re: Screwpop Keychain Magnetic Screwdriver Review
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
Looks like a great addition to my key ring. I would always have a screwdriver with me. I sure would like that.  O0

Offline ZZZ

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:31:56 AM »
I think it would be handy to have when I don't have my tools nearby.

Offline pfrank

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
That is a nice compact design.  It looks like you can actually deliver some torque with that!

Online Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
OK Draw my name after entering me.   Patricio
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline munjak5

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
Hey, looks like a great little gizmo ! I have a small tool box just filled with 1/4 " bits that I really don't use, but this being portable and able to hang on a carabiner,(I really never knew that was the name for that !), I'm sure it would get a lot of use. I can see it hanging on display near the Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc, cash registers, and Brett at Screwpop making a small fortune.

Offline joruss

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
This would really be handy if your car were to stall.  I need it.

Offline magician59

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
I'm always looking for ways to work out of my pockets, rather than carry heavy tool boxes or bags. This is another cool tool to add to my list.

Offline vacmech

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
Wow would I love to add this to my tool collection!

Offline landlady

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
My hubby is always fumbling with the ancient four-sided flat screwdriver/keyfob on his keychain.  It's just too little for his manly fingers!  The screwpop tool would be ideal for him.

Offline christopher_2

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »
This will be great on my keychain at work, working as a technician on medical equipment I always need a screwdriver and I don't have one in my pocket.

I also drink Guinness beer which is a pop top, when my wife and I go to hotel for the night I usually stop by the liquor store for a 6 pack and never have an opener. With the little tool I would always have an opener and not have to ask the person at the front desk for one.

PICK ME PICK ME  :tickedoff: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :pint1: :rofl:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:17:49 PM by christopher_2 »

Offline Tom Bucks

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »
Thats great. enter me plz and thanks for the heads up

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Cool What do they cost I never win...
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline jdman

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »
I never win anything. How much and where to purchase

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
Cool What do they cost I never win...
I never win anything. How much and where to purchase

In the first post of this topic I included a link to the screwpop website. They can also be found on amazon and ebay.
Follow us on Google+ to see updates from our Google Drive and more!

Amprobe will be sending us the ACD-14-PLUS meter for review

Started by AJ

Replies: 34
Views: 2144
Last post July 23, 2013, 09:29:57 PM
by AJ
Klein Tools 32500 11-in-1 Screwdriver/Nut Driver with Cushion Grip

Started by AJ

Replies: 20
Views: 2354
Last post October 18, 2013, 12:07:14 AM
by olyteddy