365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: home warranty repair  (Read 178 times)

Offline jason1979g

• Technician
home warranty repair
« on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »
got a call from a home warranty company asking me if i fix dryers. I told them I did (but not really wanting to deal with a warranty co.) and I told them my service fee as follows... $75 service fee and $50 min of one hr to fix. So they said good, We'll email you the service ticket. Later that day I go look at the dryer, no heat, needed the gas solenoid coils. Get the $45 deductible from the customer and email the invoice to the warranty co.

75 service fee
50 one hr min
40 for one coil
25 for second coil
15 for a start knob

that's 205  -45 deductible total 160 from warranty!  Where i would normally get 110 for the whole job if the average Joe would have called. the warranty co. actually told me that was a good price and that they will be calling me again! wow!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Re: home warranty repair
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »
Sounds good. Have you actually received payment from the warranty company yet?

Offline jason1979g

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:19:18 PM »
i called and said check is in the mail. i will let you know when it clears the account

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »
Sounds like a good way to get some additional work, congrats!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »
Most of the home warranty companies I did work for wanted an estimate of repair ( while you were there) and 25-30 minutes later they would accept or decline the repair. I would wait for a response and waste time that should have been added to the bill. I could have completed the job by the time I got a response. It would be nice to be able to just do the job and get paid like you said above.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:54 PM »
Which warranty company is this thru?

I ask because I deal with at least four or five a day at $ears. Most are pre approved for a certain dollar amount. Some are not(american home shield) and you need to call in for an authorization code for the dollar amount.  No auth code, no payment.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline jason1979g

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 07:57:29 AM »
Which warranty company is this thru?

Select Home Warranty.

They did want a est. before I did the work. But I'm Just working nights right now so they were closed. So I figure I just do the work and see what happens. Guess I got lucky. So if they said that was a good price...I'm I not charging enough now?

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
be careful, I was caught up in a similar situation.  Would get up front deductible from customer and back end pay from warranty company.  After awhile it started taking 3-4 months for pay.  Then I started getting jobs with no deductibles.

I walked away and stayed private.  I just keep my prices low and do a good job finding work.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
I get a call once in a while.  My thinking has evolved a bit on this stuff.  I played games with one company that wanted to tell me what they'd pay.  They were generous, then changed the deal.  I decided that I will tell them up front that My rates are X, and that I need a basic authorization for Y before I go.  Like a deposit.   I'm pretty cheap, but I don't want to be messed around with.

I don't know how they'll feel about that, but if they are calling me, it is because they cannot find anyone else.

I had a problem with one company that wanted all kinds of tax info before paying me.  They finally paid me, so I sent them the info.  Then they paid me again!  Too bad, but I felt I had to send the money back.  :embarassed: But the temptation to keep it and enter a 'credit' for them was enormous! ;D

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »
AHS emailed me, saying the company I was running last year is no longer with them.  I worked for/with a guy in Florida who ran a shop here as well.  I ran his NOLA operations and the warranty work.  I used my company to carry out his companies work.  Later buying into his company.  We got into an argument over money (he was screwing me bad and I found out from the warranty company)  So I quit and held the parts until he paid me.  (he never did, so I wound up selling his inventory on Ebay, even after he sent his cop brother over to threaten me. )

Anyway long story short, never try and combine your company with a shady person who promises gold and delivers copper.

So it seems that people whose appliances I did fix, where calling AHS requesting me personally.  So they are asking that I come back, and without the other guy taking 40% of my profits it would be really nice.  But I am going to decline.   I really liked this last year being fully independant. 

I will get back to the work load I had last year, but this time I want all the money in my pocket.

Though I now plan to go through my old files and send christmas cards to all the customers who I did while with the warranty company, with my new cards and a nice coupon. 

Choice Home Warranty

Started by rego

Replies: 8
Views: 181
Last post April 17, 2013, 11:08:39 PM
by andersenappliance
Wanted: Your appliance repair photos....

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 247
Last post November 08, 2013, 05:59:03 PM
by geebeegee
What brands do you service the most - warranty work?

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 103
Last post April 03, 2008, 08:59:47 PM
by BrntToast
How to get something fixed at home

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 1
Views: 46
Last post October 06, 2008, 06:59:17 AM
by AJ
Appliance Repair Resources