Author Topic: Whirlpool Washer Noise During Agitation and no Spin  (Read 4155 times)

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
Whirlpool Washer Noise During Agitation and no Spin
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:22:45 PM »

Model Number: LSR8233EQ0 icon, this washer would fill and agitate, but started making noise during the agitation portion of the cycle. Once the cabinet was removed, I started inspecting the mechanical portion of the washer and the noise seemed to be emanating from the pump, but when I removed the pump from the motor, the noise continued. I removed the motor to get access to the gearbox and found that when I turned the shaft counter-clockwise, the agitator would function with a distinct clicking noise present. Turning the shaft in the clockwise direction was impossible since the unit was locked up and would not turn with any force. The direct-drive gearbox is a bi-directional transmission that will provide agitation movement to the center shaft when turned one way, and rotational spinning to the clutch when the input to the shaft is reversed. The fortunate thing for diagnosing mechanical problems in these washers is if you can eliminate the other components as good, replacing the gear case as a unit will usually be fix to get the machine up and running again quickly.

LSR8233EQ0

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Whirlpool Washer Noise During Agitation and no Spin
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 09:06:54 AM »
Brian have you ever tried going into a DD tranny?
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline TechnicianBrian

• Technician
    • TechnicianBrian.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »
Hey JW,

Yep, I have taken a few appart and have ordered just the broken part instead of the entire assembly because of cost, but I wouldn't recommend it in someones home.  They are in my opinion a workbench type repair.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »
Yeah I know.If anybody ask me I am gonna tell them what to do it is up to them to try it.If they fix it then they save a few quid but if they chunk it at least they tried. It is an adventure for some and a necessity for others, so I give all I know to anyone. I knew nothing once. Someone decided to be nice and pass it to me, Their only request was that I sent it forward to help others.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Washer Noise During Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 2008
Last post April 22, 2008, 11:06:58 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer Noise After Spin

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2417
Last post April 26, 2008, 11:25:19 PM