Author Topic: LG WM2277HW LE Error  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Mike2013

• VIP Member
LG WM2277HW LE Error
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:17:03 AM »
Yesterday I was doing a wash and received an LE error that I can not get rid of on my LG WM2277WH Tromm Washer.  From online research, I believe it may be the Hall Assembly that needs to be replaced.  Prior to doing replacing it, I just wanted to explain what happened, in case it could be something else that may need to be repaired prior to taking it apart.  I did a very heavy load, which was probably not a good idea.  I also used almost a full cap of HE detergent.  From what I've recently read, only a small amount of HE detergent should be used.  Using too much, even if HE can fault the Hall Assembly (or this one in particular)?
It stopped in mid-cycle with the LE error.  Now when starting a cycle, it spins a couple of times, fills with water, and then eventually tries to spin but just wobbles and then an error.  My other concern is there is a louder whining noise when spinning than previously.  I am hoping it is not something else wrong since it was a heavy load.  Any advice you can give would be appreciated.  I did see a video on how to replace the sensor which does not look difficult.  I think the difficult part for me will be pulling the washer out as it is stacked with a dryer and in a tight spot.  Also, I did try to reset the machine, unplugged it for about 18 hours, and still receive the error.

Also, if I replace it with a new part (6501KW2002A) is this an improved sensor?  Or could it be susceptible to the same issue.

Thanks for the help.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: LG WM2277HW LE Error
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
I would check the bolt on your rotor.

LE error is a Locked Motor error

•loose or missing bolt on rotor.
•The connector (3-pin, male, white) in the wire
harness is not connected to the connector
(3-pin, female, white) of Stator.
• The electric contact between the connectors
(3-pin, male, white) in the wire harness
and 4-pin, female, white connector in the control is bad.
• The Wire Harness between the Stator
Assembly and Control  is open
• The hall sensor is defective
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
Open the door, place your hand on the upper part of the rotating drum and rock it up and down.  Do you hear any knocking or clunking noises?  Does it seem kinda loose and out of alignment with the tub?  If so, you may have a more serious problem and will probably need a bearing job.

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »
<<<Yesterday I was doing a wash and received an LE error that I can not get rid of on my LG WM2277WH Tromm Washer.>>>

<<<I also used almost a full cap of HE detergent.  From what I've recently read, only a small amount of HE detergent should be used.  Using too much, even if HE can fault the Hall Assembly (or this one in particular)?>>>

The original HALL EFFECT SENSOR on the LG WM2277 washer---can (and will) be damaged from using non-HE detergent or too much of the correct type of detergent.

Replace the HALL EFFECT SENSOR (6501KW2002A).

All replacement/re-designed Hall Effect Sensors are stronger/better than the original---and will likely never fail again.

Install a new Motor Wire Harness (6877ER1016B)---as these are prone to developing cracks within the wiring---from years of motion/movement.

<<<My other concern is there is a louder whining noise when spinning than previously.  I am hoping it is not something else wrong since it was a heavy load.>>>

When Hall Effect Sensors fail---it can be an intermittent-type of failure (the washer may function---then quit/stop before completing a cycle).

If the Hall Effect Sensor has partially "burned-out"---then the motor can make a loud Growl/Grinding/Whining noise.

Prior to the "LE" error---if your washer had *not* been noisy (whine)---then the Hall Effect Sensor is the cause/fault for the noise symptom as well.

Offline Mike2013

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  I am hoping it is just the Hall sensor.  I did move the drum around, and did not hear knocking or noises, and it rotated fine.  It doesn't appear to be an alignment issue.  I have ordered a Hall Sensor and new wire harness (I didn't see anything yet online on installing the harness, but from what I can tell it should be pretty straight forward).  I am hoping to get at it this weekend and see if these replacements work.  I think the real challenge is getting it out from where it is, because the dryer is stacked and it is in a tight spot. 

Offline Mike2013

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
I switched out both the sensor and the wire harness and it appears to be working.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Mike2013

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
I just wanted to follow up with a quick question.  The washer machine has been working great.  Per the video, I used Locite locking thread fluid.  I believed I used a heavier duty type than the video showed, as mine was red and on the video (and I noticed on the bolt) it was blue.  I saw the packaging was a higher rated fluid than compared to another type.  My concern is, I got a little on my scissors when cutting off the cap.  I just realized this as it was completely sealed together.  I tried prying it and the scissors broke.  Did I screw myself by using this type if I ever need to open it up and remove the bolt?  I am concerned I won't be able to get the bolt off if needed. 

Thanks.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
If its red loctite, the bolt will have to be heated with a torch if you need to remove it in the future. I use red loctite on flywheel and sometimes torque converter to flex plate bolts on race engines.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Online tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 08:51:19 PM »
What Low said.  When I replaced the clutch on my truck, the flywheel bolts where locked with red loctite.  I didn't need to heat it up but I did need a breaker bar, and I secured the flywheel with a piece of angle iron.

Offline Mike2013

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
Thanks for the info... hopefully I won't have to remove the bolt in the future.  I am not sure how I feel using a torch in the back on the washing machine, don't recall if there is any plastic very close it.

Offline hages

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 02:05:17 PM »
Hello,

Not wanting to clutter the threads and make a new one on the same issue:

Doing a normal washing, the tub will start filling and I see the tub rotating in very short sudden steps then the dreaded LE error shows up. I have unplugged the unit for more than 20 mins, then ran the option to Rinse and Spin and set to No Spin, and the washer successfully ran thru that program with no load.

Putting back my load that is heavy due to water saturation(medium size) and no new detergent added, the same LE error and symptoms remains.

Not putting back the load the washer works under Normal cycle..... hmmm. So perhaps it is a weak motor? Can it be the stator assembly and not just the Hall Sensor?

If I need to replace the stator assembly, then it is not worth it for me to fix this washer, unfortunately. It is 8 years old now and was working splendidly unless now.

I have the parts removed, so fixing it myself is not an issue.

Thanks for your advice!

Rod

LG Washer WM2277HW - LE Error

Started by Blaiser

Replies: 20
Views: 10741
Last post December 22, 2013, 10:08:10 PM
by tgoods
error code LG WM2277HW

Started by malarz

Replies: 5
Views: 1689