Author Topic: LG WM2501HWA grinds/shakes when trying to spin - Who to call? (which warranty?)  (Read 914 times)

Offline adrew

• VIP Member
We bought it new in January 2010, no issues until now.

It starts up, spins a few times to weigh the load, starts filling with water, then will grind and stutter when it tries to spin the drum the other direction.  No codes show on the screen.

We bought it at Home Depot and got the $100 extended warranty (5 years) which sounded like a great deal at the time.  But I read that the warranty is through Federal Warranty Service Corporation.  Should I go through them?  I read that that might cause some aggravation.

Or does it sound like it is a motor issue?  If so, should I skip calling FWSC and call LG for a warranty repair (10-year warranty on the motor).

Thanks.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
It sounds like the rotor assembly is the problem.  It is covered under the motor part warranty but the labor is not.  If you call the extended warranty company, they should be able to help you.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
You paid for the extended warranty, so you should definitely use it. I'm thinking its a Hall Sensor issue. Ask if they contract with A&E. Most techs stock this part on their truck.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline domain

• Technician
Video please. O0

Offline adrew

• VIP Member
Update, because I know people hate it when posters ask questions and never come back.

I bought a $13 Hall sensor from Amazon, hoping it was that, only to take it apart tonight and find out that the plastic teeth on the rotor were all worn off off.  It looks like the bolt holding it on had loosened a bit (came off really easily)...

Anyway, I Googled a bit and tried to find a replacement hub but it seems like the thing is just sold as a $50+ unit.  Is there a source for new hubs?  Or is replacing the whole shebang the only way to go?

I was expecting this thing to be super-complicated inside, but after watching a few videos it seems pretty simple aside from the electronics.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
You can only get the whole rotor assembly, 4413ER1003A. The new rotor has a metal hub.

Offline domain

• Technician
You can only get the whole rotor assembly, 4413ER1003A. The new rotor has a metal hub.

SOME models will allow the hub only to be ordered and changed. I remember 3 years ago starting out, I pulled a good used one and installed on another.  O0 O0

Offline adrew

• VIP Member
Awesome, thank you.  What is the difference between the 4413EA1002A, 4413EA1002B and 4413EA1002C versions of the rotor?

Is it likely this is the only thing wrong with it, or is there a chance the stator could be bad as well?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
So you spent good money on an extended warranty but you don't want to use it.  If it's covered under warranty, use it.  Why spend more money?
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline adrew

• VIP Member
If the part is easy to replace and only $50 or $60, that's preferable to taking off work and waiting for a service call.  I'd call if it was computer-related or anything complicated/expensive like the bearings.

Offline adrew

• VIP Member
New rotor arrived yesterday - bolted it on and all is well (even seems a little quieter).   O0

Spin Cycle shakes the Drum too much

Started by Lina

Replies: 2
Views: 1674
Last post August 15, 2008, 06:36:02 AM
by JWWebster
Estate Washer shakes like craazy on spin cycles

Started by surijm

Replies: 4
Views: 3171
Last post January 29, 2010, 01:35:01 PM
by Repair-man