Author Topic: Can't unscrew center wash tower to remove lower wash arm assembly  (Read 1551 times)

Offline RogerK

• VIP Member
On a Maytag DWU9200 dishwasher the repair manual says to unscrew the center wash tower (the spray tower lower extension nozzle) but it just spins rather than unscrewing. Holding the lower spray arm doesn't help- the two parts just turn on one another.

How do you hold the piece on which the center wash tower is attached so as to unscrew and remove the wash tower so as to get access to the filters, etc. below the arm assembly?

It may just be old and stuck due to old age but I don't want to break the parts by forcing them.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Can't unscrew center wash tower to remove lower wash arm assembly
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
picture? Does it have the tower on the pump or rack? On the rack the disc ( best I can describe it) should just unscrew from the top of the pump. I have never seen one break below.

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline RogerK

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 10:50:21 PM »
It is Part #27 on this drawing

Offline RogerK

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
I am actually trying to get access to the parts inside the strainer.

To do so I need to remove parts #1 (the lower power tower pop up nozzle), part #27 (the lower extension nozzle) , part 2 (the lower spray arm that is a tight fit on part 27), and the strainer cover #4 so I can get access to the parts inside.

Part 27 won't twist off but just spins along with the spray arm. If I hold the spray arm it still won't twist off. I tried turning it both clockwise and counterclockwise but everything just twirls without unscrewing. It seems like there should be some way to hold the inside shaft from spinning so that you can unscrew and remove the extension tube.

On other model machines there is a center plastic nut you can turn to remove the wash arm but not on this one.

I pulled the Torx screws holding the strainer cover in place but it wouldn't lift off because of the other pieces above it.

Should I just force the lower spray arm up and off? Would that give me access to the filter and the other parts or would it just break things?

I think I have a partially clogged filter or broken impeller because the upper and lower spray arms just drip water but don't seem to have enough flow and pressure to spin most of the time.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
The spray arm fits on to #7.The hole in the spray arm isn't round. It has two flat sides so holding the spray arm is supposed to also hold #7 which has the threads on it. I have never had this problem so I don't have an easy answer for you. You may have to sacrifice the spray arm.

Offline RogerK

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the info. I ended up sacrificing the lower spray tower by sawing it off with a Dremel multifunction tool. Everything was frozen with dried on grunge so carving it off was the only way to get inside.

A few new pieces of plastic and it should be good to go now that the strainer has holes once again rather than a heavy coating of dry detergent and odd pieces of dried on paper labels.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »
Dremel. What a great tool!

Offline RogerK

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:44 AM »
Between the old rotating Dremel tools with safety glasses and a supply of cutoff disks  and the new multifunction vibrating Dremel tools there is nothing you can't do! Home dentistry, dishwasher repair, carving a Stradivarius violin out of a full gown standing tree, cutting off frozen bolts, making sushi, etcetera.

Incidentally, the part #9 is actually threaded into the bottom of part #27. Flats on the wash arm should, in theory, hold part #9 steady so that you can unscrew part 27. In my case, the two pieces were frozen in place with lime deposits.

Holding the wash arm and twisting the tower just deformed the plastic parts enough so the wash arm twisted past the flats rather than it acting as a wrench to hold the lower piece in place while I unscrewed the tower piece.

(By the way- Part #7 also has flats on it which allow it to spin when part #9 spins, but the wash arm doesn't actually hold part #7 directly. Those flats just cause part 7 to spin when part 9 spins.)

Maybe, in retrospect, pouring vinegar down the sides of the tower and letting it soak overnight might have softened up the deposits enough to allow the tower to unscrew without carving it apart with the Dremel tool.

The fastest, cheapest, and least aggravating solution however was to just cut off parts 27 and 9 by sawing just above the wash arm and then replacing those two pieces of plastic for about $25.00 and change.

How to remove lower wash arm for Quiet Partner I?

Started by TheWilldog

Replies: 5
Views: 4365
Last post September 28, 2013, 10:45:45 AM
by RogerK
GE Dishwasher Will not pump on wash cycle

Started by bp0611

Replies: 1
Views: 4243
Last post February 25, 2008, 07:38:59 AM
by apptech
dishwasher will not wash

Started by chader

Replies: 4
Views: 6205
Last post February 28, 2008, 07:36:42 PM
by chader
whrilpool dish water does'nt start wash cycle

Started by gary

Views: 2891
Last post June 17, 2008, 08:25:45 AM
by whirlpooltech
Quick wash and start buttons do not work on dishwasher.

Started by bless

Views: 1847
Last post May 23, 2012, 10:16:08 AM
by AJ
Kenmore Ultra Wash Dishwasher

Started by gred25

Replies: 2
Views: 3290
Last post May 14, 2008, 05:48:46 AM
by Repair-man