Author Topic: triggering adaptive defrost board on kenmore sxs 59652673200  (Read 1700 times)

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
triggering adaptive defrost board on kenmore sxs 59652673200
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
Can't find a manual or troubleshooting guide that explains how to put the fridge into defrost. and the parts diagram lists the thermostat as a part of the evaporator group but it isn't in the picture and there is no indiction of the design temp. so i know how cold i should have to have the thing to make it work.

any background on this line of fridge would be appreciated. also don't find wiring diagram on the sears parts direct site.  is there one pasted on the back of the fridge or in an envelope underneath somewhere or .  . . .?

thanks

brian

Offline elgato

• Technician
Re: triggering adaptive defrost board on kenmore sxs 59652673200
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
Hey there is a way to ck it open and close the fresh food door certin # of times that dont work lol so i alway ck defrost heating and the t stat if they ok than i change that timer never had acall back

Online Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »
This looks like it has Maytag part numbers. The thermostat should be on top of the evaporator. Elgato is right. Ohm out the thermostat and heater. If they have continuity replace the defrost board.

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »
thanks,

ohming heater and thermostat at normal cold temps (although that isn't always that easy by the time you get to the thermostat it can open so it is nice to just do them both off the control for starters while the fridge is still cold esp. if you aren't in a frozen up state. ergo looking for the pin outs or wiring diagram to tell me which leads go to the heater and thermostat.

and it's nice to know the temp. target for the thermostate so you can guess whether its open because it is supposed to be or because it's broken. some of them are ridiculously cold and it is hard to get a test on them.   and i just like to see if the card triggers because sometimes there is a backup in the drain and nothing is really broken.  drives me nuts that you can't trigger these or if you can it is some military secret combination of opening and closing the door and standing on your head whistling the star spangled banner.  well at least its patriotic.

but if i manage to test the continuity through the heater and thermostat and think the drain was not blocked i'll go for the board.  but thats $90 item compared to the timer at $20.  wish they just had timer with some lever in the hinge that advances it a couple clicks if you open the door.  that's adaptive defrost in my book.  if you want you can put a relative humidity sensor and have two sets of contacts in the timer and you've got an even more sophisticated one.

thanks epa and appliance manufacturers for creating black boxes. sure is making the world a better place. . .

brian

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 07:12:43 PM »
I remember the old Westinghouse refrigerators had a system like that where it did in fact have a switch that counted how many times the door was opened and defrosted. ( all mechanical) Of course I still have my Westinghouse music box from a dryer that plays "How Dry I Am " when it shuts off.

Offline archibald tuttle

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
I remember the old Westinghouse refrigerators had a system like that where it did in fact have a switch that counted how many times the door was opened and defrosted. ( all mechanical) Of course I still have my Westinghouse music box from a dryer that plays "How Dry I Am " when it shuts off.

i really like the musical touch. recalling the old refrigerator commercial for automatic icemakers from the 70s, maybe these black box fridges could play "the parties over"  as a trouble code.

i'm no luddite, but sometimes the old way is the better way when you factor in maintenance. of course if the westinghouse method for clocking door use was clunky and broke more often, maybe you can make a case that the digital revolution helps here. but,  i've had more problems with black boxes on appliances than i ever had with the old analog controls. it's not even close.

at least on this fridge it appears that the board is single purpose for defrost and if a manufacturer stuck with this and kept the same board for a while i would think the price could come down. there really isn't any reason for a board like this to cost a lot more than a timer unless it doesn't have as widespread an application.  and ditto where icemakers have a had a degree of solid state control for a while but only related to the icemaker.

still, how hard would it be to design a board with a dip switch to trigger various functions, and/or a standardized obd port?

it is even worse when virtually everything that happens is controlled by one board. albeit the price load on the part isn't the equivalent of the 3 boards it might be replacing the expense goes up and the diagnostics get more complicated.  at least with the defrost board on this unit, standard tab terminals can be used to jump the defroster on if you reverse engineer the pin outs or have a diagram.

so cam timers on washing machines and dishwashers have a lot of pin outs and are a little harder to deal with short of total replacement although by design you can run them through all the trigger  points, and the functions on the washer need to be timed.  all the functions on the refrigerator don't need to flow from one control board, while it is necessary to turn off the evap fan and compressor for defrost those are relatively simple functions that can be handled in serial fashion without greatly complicating the normal cooling and regulation functions associated with the principle refrigeration circuit.  and if there are circumstances where digital control has merits, they could at least provide facility for easy diagnosis , like the twist switch on electrical tester to close different contacts parallel duplicating timer function or dip switch or . . .   but that don't seem to have service on their minds when doing design.

probably never be enough of us who know the best and the worst to fix of various models and communicate that to end users to get into the mix although if a brand were to really stress servicability across its range of appliances it might eventually gain customer loyalty.

rant over.  so far as i can tell this was a clogged drain problem.  the fridge has run without frosting up again for 2 months since i was there. was just visiting again because they are going to move it into an apartment.  its a first floor apartment so i gave the go ahead.

no onboard wiring schematic i could find so i couldn't get a quick ohm reading on the defrost circuit as the pins aren't market by function.  still be interested if anybody has a link to the wiring diagram in case i ever have to go back.

thanx.

brian

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:19 PM »
how about a 1947 water through the door refrigerator.as simple as you can get,fill container and dispense by lifting handle flapper and fill a glass
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:47:41 PM by theoldstoveguy »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 04:33:59 PM »
1947, wow that's awesome!
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
3 broken wires, she showed it to me and said "but it doesn't work" 20 minutes later it did. Fixed her stove and she paid me. I said no charge for the refrigerator repair if I could take a picture for my website. $50.00 tip. Her Dad got it when she was a kid,and to see it work again was nice. She just informed me she sent it to an auto body shop to be repainted. Sometimes I Love my job!

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing it with us...

Welcome to the 1,000 + post count club. ;)
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
Thanks for all you do, and all the help received from all the techs on site.

61005988 Maytag Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 10387
Last post February 19, 2011, 07:44:34 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
240554501 Frigidaire Refrigerator Adaptive Defrost Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5012
Last post October 03, 2009, 12:23:13 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool 4388932 defrost board (Adaptive Defrost Control)

Started by gwakeen

Replies: 8
Views: 3783
Last post January 14, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
by AJ
Kenmore Fridge 25368832792 defrost prob

Started by marhari

Replies: 3
Views: 3247
Last post October 23, 2008, 05:31:24 PM
by Repair-man
defrost adaptive control refrigerator