Author Topic: Washing Machine Rubber hoses leaking after drain pump replacement  (Read 536 times)

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
I wanted to post this thread as an FYI for those who go to replace the drain pump which is a simple plastic pump that attaches to the side of the electric motor. I went and replaced this leaking plastic pump but when everything was said and done, I now noticed that water was leaking from the inlet and outlet rubber hoses that go into said pump. What likely happened was the rubber, being cold and older, is less flexible and malleable so the constant tension clamps that go on these rubber hoses couldn't tighten it enough to prevent it from leaking. So instead of replacing these rubber drain hoses that were now leaking but weren't before I replaced the pump, I took out a hair dryer put it on full blast heat and I heated the rubber hoses at the inlets as best as I could. I tried to get them as hot as possible, pointing the hair dryer all around the circumference of the hose where it's installed as best as I could.

After heating the rubber hoses and the constant tension metal clamps for at least like 15 minutes (Despite doing this for so long, the stuff never got hot, though it was like 60F inside the garage), I tested the washer by putting more water into it and voila, no more leaks! Really glad I decided to do this as it saved me the money and time replacing these rubber hoses!

Whirlpool, Maytag, Kenmore
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:28:56 PM by imzjustplayin »

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Re: Washing Machine Rubber hoses leaking after drain pump replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »
So, do you think this repair will last?
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline imzjustplayin

• VIP Member
Re: Washing Machine Rubber hoses leaking after drain pump replacement
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:04:31 PM »
I believe it will. I guess I can post an update sometime in the future, maybe a year later or so stating whether or not the leak came back. If it has been a year and I forget to post, be sure to post in the thread asking for me to update and if I get notified, I should post an update. If it leaks before then, I'll definitely come back to post that the "repair" did not work.

Video: Whirlpool Washing Machine Drain Pump Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2290
Last post June 18, 2010, 10:58:32 AM
by AJ
Video: Washing Machine Repair - Drain Pump Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 633
Last post December 10, 2011, 07:44:29 AM
by AJ