Author Topic: Removing stuck Cabrio, Bravo or Oasis inner tub  (Read 2967 times)

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Removing stuck Cabrio, Bravo or Oasis inner tub
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 09:16:40 AM »
I'm not moving to Texas anytime soon. But it's nice to know there's a job there for me if I do!
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline glug

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 03:28:45 PM »
Another trick is to put the machine into manual test mode. With the agitator, tub ring and drive hub removed, put the machine into an agitate test. As the shaft moves back and forth, pull up on the basket.

Wow, thank you!  I have been greatly struggling with the basket on our machine, as so many people have. After many searches on this topic I had pretty much resigned myself to making a one-off metal plate/hub, to engage with a standard puller. I was lucky to find this tip.

Running the machine in the manual agitation diagnostic cycle freed up the shaft just as suggested. This is a great and amazingly elegant solution.

If I were repairing these machines often, I would buy a puller tool to remove the stuck basket.  Not because it is quicker (because it isn't), but because it is safer.

Offline Maytag Man 6725

• Technician
  • Technician since 1990
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
Jays tub removal tool - take the safe route

Offline glug

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:35:51 AM »
The machinist in me wants to add a thought about this.

As anyone who has work on this knows - the shaft has two machined surfaces, and in between them is an unmachined area. That unmachined area in between is what tends to corrode, or at least that was the case on our machine.

Rust tends to expand material and that expansion hangs up when you try and lift the basket off. The basket surfaces which ride on the shaft are, I believe, merely plastic.  So one possible gotcha in this is those surfaces will be damaged when you lift the basket off. There really is no avoiding that.  If you lift the basket straight off with a puller tool, then the plastic bushing surface should only be scratched in a longitudinal direction. Of course that assumes the person doing the work does not allow the basket to rotate while using the puller tool.  In most videos not much care is taken in that regard.. hint, hint.

If you use the Agitate test cycle method, there is some risk that the rotation will score the surface over a larger area.

After I removed the basket I carefully cleaned the plastic surfaces of residual rust, etc, with a toothbrush and paper towels. I did not see any significant scoring, etc.  Everything was greased and it is working fine and dandy.

I read a post where someone suggested that vinegar, and five minutes time, allowed him to pull the basket off. Apparently that dissolved the rust or mineral deposits. On our machine it was more like rust and not mineral deposites. I tried the vinegar approach but it did not work (it may have even gotten a bit worse, as the vinegar can disloge some particles and create wedging). I think once you use vinegar you are committed to removing the basket in order to clean the vinegar out. You don't want to leave that in there.

Anyway, however you do it, good luck wrasslin those baskets!

Online domain

• Technician
« Reply #24 on: Today at 10:02:50 AM »
Fill tub hot water, almost to agitator bolt,  high speed spin with hubs removed. Hold the basket static and few minutes late r it pulls right up

8178583 L-81 Whirlpool Cabrio Oasis Bravio Washer Service Repair Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6750
Last post August 17, 2009, 12:53:38 PM
by AJ
Kitchenaid Washer Agitator Stuck during the Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 3524
Last post July 03, 2008, 10:30:35 AM
by JWWebster