365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: What to do with old new/used parts?  (Read 160 times)

Offline Ol' Lonely

• Technician
  • The Lonely Repairman
What to do with old new/used parts?
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
I have parts that have been sitting around taking up space and collecting dust for so long now.
Some new parts, some used parts that I salvaged from machines over the years thinking I would use them someday.

The pile is getting out of hand, I'm getting older and tired of looking at them.

How long do you guys hold onto parts before you decide to clean house?

Seems such a shame to throw them away, but what else does a guy do with the crap?

"Depend on us."

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: What to do with old new/used parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 04:17:20 PM »
My stove stuff is all 50+ years old and I have kept them for 10-15 because they don't make them anymore. Washer stuff and some dishwasher parts ( they are ALL Maytag parts ) kept for 5 years and used 80% on calls so not really a waste.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
If you saw my stockpile you would S$&@!    I have old GE motor / 2 speed clutch assemblys,   3 fluid drives from speed queens,    Old GE, Maytag, and speed queen Tranny's,  Washer tubs,   about 13 agitators from old machines.     + a bunch of other old stuff.     I just keep it.     When I get a call that I need one of those parts,   it's like Xmas.     Pure profit.    For example,   I got a call on a 30 year old wascomat,   needed a drain valve.    I checked,  and had one in my garage.      It now costs 365 dollars,  I think I paid about 50 or 60 for it 10 years ago.     That is pure profit.     Mind you, it does take up alot of space in my warehouse (garage) and causes the wife to bitch alot,   but I tell her that is money sitting there the same as sitting in bank.     

Now,  i probably should ditch the fluid drives and the belt drive whirlpool tranny and superstructure I have (can't see ever using those) but I can't .   I guess I'm somewhat of a hoarder in that respect.   

One other thing I have somewhere,   Remember the old Glo-Coils you would use on Hamilton dryers.   I have several of those.     I even found some old Water valve repair kits in the days of brass valves and you could just rebuild them.    I just keep that stuff for sentimental reasons.     Oh,  in case any of you remember,   I still have the old tools to work on the frigidare (General Motors owned) pump action washers.    That was a terrible machine to work on if any of you guys remember.    I worked on a ton of those in mid 70's when they were still around.    Like I said,  I just can't force myself to throw that stuff away. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline ScottyMo1

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:12:45 AM »
There are a lot of people rebuilding old washers and dryers. They are always looking for parts etc. Maybe something to look into.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
I've sold over half of my dead stock on Amazon.  They charge higher fees than ebay but are a lot more convenient. I list my items and forget about them. You don't need to relist anything.  I get an email saying I sold something and I ship it off. A store costs $40 a month but you don't need it. There's an extra $.99 fee per item sold if you don't have a store. So, it only makes sense to have a store if you sell more than 40 items a month.  It does take forever to get your money, over two weeks.  You'd think a multi-billion dollar company could let go of some money a little sooner.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
T Goods,  not a bad idea.   I have to go through everything and see if I can "thin" it out a little.  Beats just throwing it out.
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
One of our members (retired tech) is cleaning shop and decided to donated some parts to ApplianceJunk.com and I received them today, thank you! O0

:thanks:

I will be listing them on ebay soon and will put any money we make from the auctions towards our site.

tgoods, I will have to check into amazon too!

Would there be any interest in having a 'Buying, Selling, and Trading' type board on our site?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:08:58 PM »
I told my son to sell my old stove parts on eBay and use the money for college but no luck so far. I may check amazon.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
eBay

Some local store just donated most of their inventory to habitat for humanity, I went there and made an offer on the lot, and now sell the stuff i don't need on eBay.
I got dryer motors for $2.50 each, whirlpool front load drain motors for $5, it was a great deal.

I felt so bad about the low prices that I went back and donated a maytag range and a Samsung refrigerator I was going to sell.

Discussing cheaper parts and tools in our forum

Started by AJ

Replies: 29
Views: 780
Last post August 04, 2013, 03:49:47 AM
by Wedgeman55
Canada Parts?

Started by Al Capone

Replies: 15
Views: 177
Last post January 15, 2009, 07:06:50 AM
by Mr. Fix-It