Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: LG LDF7810ST OE Error Code  (Read 253 times)

Offline nicolaid

• VIP Member
LG LDF7810ST OE Error Code
« on: January 16, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
Good day everyone, new to the forum and hoping someone can shed some light on a dynamic situation with my dishwasher!

Ok here goes.

I've had my LG LDF7810ST for nearly 10 years.  Over the past few years I would start to get the dreaded loud "grinding" noise coming from the wash pump although it was intermittent.  Just recently though things got much worse.  I would start a cycle, any cycle, drain pump would come on and run forever it would seem then eventually turn off and dishwasher beeping OE error.  There are a very few rare times that after the drain pump would run for nearly 5-7 minutes, it would eventually stop and then the dishwasher would start it's normal cycle and start filling the tub.

Some research online shows that OE error generally relates to drain problems but mine seems to drain fine.  In any case here's what I've done:

- Replaced entire pump/sump assembly - 'AJH31248604 Dishwasher Pump and Motor Assembly' - http://goo.gl/wGQ3x5
- Removed and thoroughly inspected and cleaned the float/switch assembly  - '4769DD2001A Dishwasher Float Assembly' - http://goo.gl/8rH892
**I found there to be some sludge in there, pepper, debris etc.  The 2 relay switches seem fine, they click normally, etc but I did not test them for continuity, the larger of the 2 floats though had some water trapped inside of it, so I drilled a tiny hole, extracted the water, then re-sealed it with hot glue.

I re-assembled and then discovered a leak.  Took it all apart again and found some cracks in the drain hose near the bend where it loops at the top of the dishwasher.  Note, my dishwasher just has the simple hose, I've noticed online there is an updated version (http://goo.gl/2LcmGa) that has a plastic 'U' and another rubber hose that now connects to the water inlet assembly that's attached to the float assembly but mine does not have this version.  I went to my local Home Depot and bought a generic hose to replace.  I had to connect 2 together because they were only 6'.

Anyway, re-assembled again but still the same problem persists!  The drain pump will run forever at the start of any cycle, it drains normally then continues to run dry for minutes before an OE error code comes up again.  Again maybe once in every 10th try it will actually start filling with water and start the cycle normally after the drain pump runs for that length of time.

I found the test mode sequence online and gave the test mode a try (Rinse+Delay Start+Power buttons).  My software flashes 3H/U4.

All the first tests display normally ie 11 22 33 44 55 etc. 

The 4th push of 'delay start' (test of the water inlet valve) I'm getting some weird results (same as this person in this thread - http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=12907.msg96497#msg96497)

It starts to fill, and continues to fill then drain pump comes on for a brief moment, then fills, drains, fills, drains leading eventually to an FE error code.

So to summarize

Normal operation results in drain pump starting, running for several minutes even if no water in the tub, then everything stops and I get OE error code
Test mode, number #4, water valve opens and tub begins to fill, then drain pump removes some water, continues to fill, drain pump does the same again, repeats cycle until FE error code shows up

My thoughts, the entire pump assembly is brand new and drain hose is new so no clogs or draining issues there.  Either:

- The float assembly, specifically the relay switches, are malfunctioning and causing the issue.
OR
- The water inlet valve (http://goo.gl/ewyWhb) is malfunctioning and need replacing
OR
- The main PCB board that controls everything needs replacing

I've spent way too many hours troubleshooting and days waiting for shipment of parts.  Any insight at this point would be GREATLY APPRECATED!

Thanks

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 10:52:56 AM by nicolaid »

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: LG LDF7810ST OE Error Code
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »

Remove the door panel and look at the wiring harness.  Inspect the harness for any frayed or broken wires.  If it all looks well, replace the float assembly.  This is what tells the computer how high the water level is, how much water is flowing into the machine and when the water has drained completely from the tub.
You were almost there but instead of trying to clean the float assembly, you should've replaced it. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:57:48 AM by wildimaginations »
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline nicolaid

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 09:25:12 AM »
Thank you for the reply!  I found my issue last night.  I decided I wanted to watch the float assembly and inlet in action while trying to run the machine so I spent a bit of time extending the electrical wiring so I could reconnect the dishwasher while it was out in the wide open in my kitchen.  After observing the float assembly it appeared the relay on the left was doing it's job (activating the drain pump) but the one on the right wasn't doing anything.  Thinking the relay on the right was dead I swapped them only to discover that the drain pump would still activate but the one on the right would do nothing.  I decided to follow the 2 wires from it (brown/yellow).  They continued underneath and up into the door to the main PCB so I removed the front door and discovered the problem.  Of course a lot of the wires were stuck in the door liner which over the years had melted from the heat.  Looking closely, I found the yellow wire and it was severed!  I guess the sheath had eventually melted, the metal wiring corroded, and eventually just split in half.  A couple of splices, a simple butt connector, and about 2 minutes of my time and the dishwasher was back to normal. I guess I didn't have to spend the money on an entire new pump/sump assembly but oh well, I think I've just extended the life of my dishwasher dramatically now!  Before putting the front door panel back on I carefully extracted all the wiring that was embedded in the melted liner and then covered the liner in those areas with 'Tuck Tape' to prevent this from happening again. 

On a side note, I wasn't happy with the cheap drain hose I ended up purchasing as it would easily kink.  I elected to buy the LG one, which as I've mentioned, has since been updated and designed to work with the new style plastic inlet that has the connection for the siphon hose (http://goo.gl/2LcmGa).  For now, all I did was remove the rubber siphon hose and capped off the top of the plastic 'U' bend with some tape.  It seems to work normal.  My question is though, for $30-40 bucks, should I invest in the redesigned water inlet that accommodates this siphon hose?  My understanding is that it prevents the issue where during operation water gets siphoned out of the tub causing the impeller to start making that loud grinding noise which mine was guilty of over the years. 

Thanks again!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:03:51 AM »
The only reason to get the water inlet assembly is that the unit may leak during the drain cycle should the one valve in the drain line vent fail.  I have seen it done where someone just crimped the end of the vent tube with a plastic wire tie and be done with it.  It's really up to you.

Glad it was just a broken wire.

Offline nicolaid

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
So you're saying in the situation you described that the water inlet (photo attached) would leak if the drain line vent failed?  Where is the drain line vent anyway?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:09:18 PM »
I'm sorry.  I meant the drain line vent at the top of the Loop.  If you remove the drain line vent rubber hose at the top of the loop, you will see a one way valve in the plastic loop.  That will stop the water from flowing out but will allow air to go in.  If that valve should fail, it will leak through the rubber hose.

Offline nicolaid

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »
Ah that makes sense.  When I reinstalled it yesterday I put it in the new style drain hose, removed the small rubber hose from it, and capped the top of the drain line vent (I didn't know it was a one way valve).  Should I not seal that valve?  Would it be beneficial to allow it to breathe or safer to cap it in the event it fails.

Thanks again!

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 09:00:42 AM »
If you have an air gap in the drain line, I wouldn't worry about it.  The only reason LG modified it is because some parts of the country don't require an air gap and connect the drain line directly to the house plumbing.  If the drain line is not high enough, it will siphon the water out of the tub very quickly.

Offline nicolaid

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 11:01:06 AM »
Got it, I'll leave it as is (drain vent capped off).  My drain line connects to the side of my garburator under the kitchen sink but I've added another loop under there above where it connects to the plumbing.

On a side note, with the new pump assembly (which evidently I didn't need) my dishwasher seems to be cleaning like new again!

LG Dishwasher with LE error code

Started by y4697

Replies: 80
Views: 129783
Last post September 06, 2013, 11:54:39 AM
by terror1
LE error code, it was the wires!

Started by luhalest

Replies: 0
Views: 4227
Last post May 19, 2009, 10:16:08 PM
by luhalest