Good day everyone, new to the forum and hoping someone can shed some light on a dynamic situation with my dishwasher!
Ok here goes.
I've had my LG LDF7810ST for nearly 10 years. Over the past few years I would start to get the dreaded loud "grinding" noise coming from the wash pump although it was intermittent. Just recently though things got much worse. I would start a cycle, any cycle, drain pump would come on and run forever it would seem then eventually turn off and dishwasher beeping OE error. There are a very few rare times that after the drain pump would run for nearly 5-7 minutes, it would eventually stop and then the dishwasher would start it's normal cycle and start filling the tub.
Some research online shows that OE error generally relates to drain problems but mine seems to drain fine. In any case here's what I've done:
- Replaced entire pump/sump assembly - 'AJH31248604 Dishwasher Pump and Motor Assembly' - http://goo.gl/wGQ3x5
- Removed and thoroughly inspected and cleaned the float/switch assembly - '4769DD2001A Dishwasher Float Assembly' - http://goo.gl/8rH892
**I found there to be some sludge in there, pepper, debris etc. The 2 relay switches seem fine, they click normally, etc but I did not test them for continuity, the larger of the 2 floats though had some water trapped inside of it, so I drilled a tiny hole, extracted the water, then re-sealed it with hot glue.
I re-assembled and then discovered a leak. Took it all apart again and found some cracks in the drain hose near the bend where it loops at the top of the dishwasher. Note, my dishwasher just has the simple hose, I've noticed online there is an updated version (http://goo.gl/2LcmGa
) that has a plastic 'U' and another rubber hose that now connects to the water inlet assembly that's attached to the float assembly but mine does not have this version. I went to my local Home Depot and bought a generic hose to replace. I had to connect 2 together because they were only 6'.
Anyway, re-assembled again but still the same problem persists! The drain pump will run forever at the start of any cycle, it drains normally then continues to run dry for minutes before an OE error code comes up again. Again maybe once in every 10th try it will actually start filling with water and start the cycle normally after the drain pump runs for that length of time.
I found the test mode sequence online and gave the test mode a try (Rinse+Delay Start+Power buttons). My software flashes 3H/U4.
All the first tests display normally ie 11 22 33 44 55 etc. The 4th push of 'delay start' (test of the water inlet valve)
I'm getting some weird results (same as this person in this thread - http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=12907.msg96497#msg96497
)It starts to fill, and continues to fill then drain pump comes on for a brief moment, then fills, drains, fills, drains leading eventually to an FE error code.
So to summarize
Normal operation results in drain pump starting, running for several minutes even if no water in the tub, then everything stops and I get OE error code
Test mode, number #4, water valve opens and tub begins to fill, then drain pump removes some water, continues to fill, drain pump does the same again, repeats cycle until FE error code shows up
My thoughts, the entire pump assembly is brand new and drain hose is new so no clogs or draining issues there. Either:
- The float assembly, specifically the relay switches, are malfunctioning and causing the issue.
- The water inlet valve (http://goo.gl/ewyWhb
) is malfunctioning and need replacing
- The main PCB board that controls everything needs replacing
I've spent way too many hours troubleshooting and days waiting for shipment of parts. Any insight at this point would be GREATLY APPRECATED!