Author Topic: Service Pointer - Refrigerators Freezer Drain Freezing  (Read 4152 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Service Pointer - Refrigerators Freezer Drain Freezing
« on: September 13, 2013, 06:47:03 PM »
W1063238 - Amana, Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Maytag and Whirlpool Bottom Mount Freezer Refrigerators - Drain freezing -| August 2013

Models:
See attached pages.

Serial Numbers:
All

Concern:
Ice build up on bottom of freezer. Defrost water does not drain. Duck bill check valve plugged.

Correction:
A “P Trap” drain tube kit is now available for the models listed on the attached sheets. If the new design “P Trap”, see figure 1, has not already been installed, Order and install kit part number W10619951. Follow the detailed instructions supplied with the kit.
Hope you find our site helpful.
Follow us on Google+

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Service Pointer - Refrigerators Freezer Drain Freezing
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 10:13:26 PM »
I haven't seen the duckbill problem here.  It's good to know there's a fix when I do see it.  Thanks for the pointer.

Offline etana

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
So is there evidence that this new part will fix the problem?  This is fantastic news, I hope...

I have been researching this for 18 months, and tonight searched this forum's posts since Oct 2012, and happily found this recent post and solution.

We have the Maytag #MBL2258 XESL, bottom mount fridge with the blocked drain in the freezer section. We have a Home Depot service contract from 1/2012. We had 4 different repairmen "fix" clean out the blocked drain within the 18 months of owning it. Finally the 5th time, another repairman removed the duck bill grommet.

I read that "If the grommet is not there, then when the air pressure equalizes, it will draw warm moist air through the drain tube which coats the evaporator and can cause potential moisture issues in other areas."
http://neighboursappliance.com/2012/05/bottom-mount-whirlpool-fridge-leaking-water.html

Since the grommet was removed last month, we haven't had ice/water leaks, so I am not sure what exactly to tell the insurance company/repair people, because it sounds like removing the grommet was not a solution, yet we don't have a current leak.

What will happen with the grommet missing?
What can I tell the service company so that they would install the A “P Trap” drain tube kit part number W10619951?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for this forum.
- Etana

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
This kit should fix the problem because it's a proven method for preventing moisture migration in fridges. Like any plumbing the tube will eventually plug up but I don't usually see it until the fridge is at least 10 years old.  If you live in a dry climate, like in Arizona, you will probably never see a problem with the duckbill not being in place.  The problems you could see is frost buildup on your evaporator and vents, which could cause airflow problems and warm temperatures. I would tell the service company you want the factory authorized repair for your fridge and show them the service pointer.

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »
Has anyone installed one of these yet?  I can't find the new part in stock anywhere......do you install from the inside or back by the compressor?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:27:44 PM »
I just did my first one.  The kit comes with two tubes and a rubber sleeve.  Remove the duckbill and put the rubber sleeve in it's place.  One end of the tube fits over that, the other end snaps into molded receptacle on the drain pan.  It's very easy. Which tube you use depends on the width of the refrigerator.  The tubes are identical other than the position of a tab on the molded end.  I think you could grind off the tab and make it fit either size.  I'm keeping the extra tube and using self-fusing silicone tape instead of the sleeve, since you only get one sleeve. That way I can get two repairs from the same kit. Whirlpool still hasn't posted the instruction sheet and I didn't think to copy it before I threw it away.  I'll post it the next time I order it, unless someone beats me to it.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
I ordered a rubber grommet for backstock, thought it was expensive, I received the new up grade kit.   I have not had the opportunity to replace one yet.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline Joebeef

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
Thanks guys....I notice Marcone seems to have them in stock.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:06:54 PM »
Sounds like a good part to Stock.

Offline donsabol

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
i remove the duct bill and cut two small v notches in it ... works great.. the problem i see is the groment gums up and seals shut..the small notches keep the water flowing thru it

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Nice video on cleaning drain and how the bottom racks comes out on a newer bottom Whirlpool french door refrigerator.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
And install the new drain kit afterward and use a steamer to clear drain system faster.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-tube-drain-w10619951-ap5780744.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:43:36 PM by dab147315 »

LG BOTTOM FREEZER DRAIN KEEPS FREEZING UP

Started by DR SMITH

Replies: 4
Views: 1349
Last post March 15, 2014, 04:33:08 AM
by domain
GE PROFILE FREEZER NOT FREEZING

Started by TM

Replies: 2
Views: 3951
Last post January 13, 2009, 01:21:32 PM
by Mr. Fix-It
819043 Refrigerator Freezer Defrost Drain Hole Heat Probe

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 5479
Last post May 02, 2009, 05:37:21 PM
by AJ
R-107 2008 Double Drawer Whirlpool Refrigerator / Freezer Under Counter Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1653
Last post August 20, 2009, 12:55:32 PM
by AJ
R-89 Whirlpool Water Filter System for SxS Refrigerators Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 968
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:19:35 PM
by AJ
AM-4 Whirlpool Apartment Maintenance Series-Top Mount Refrigerators Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1017
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:20:33 PM
by AJ