Author Topic: What would you recommend??  (Read 802 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
What would you recommend??
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:17 AM »
This laundry room keeps getting broken into and the thieves break the cash box for a measly few quarters in it.  I simply recommended to the owner to just replace the washer and dryer with a simple regular washer and dryer and let the tenants use them for free.  Just jack up the rent on each unit to cover the cost of their usage.

What else would you recommend?

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: What would you recommend??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
No one heard anything? I find that hard to believe. Lock the door when not in use and use a door closure on the door. Tenants only and they have a key to the room. I had a landlord who gave a reward for people who turned in thefts and that worked very well.

Offline ElectronGuru

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:19 PM »
Just jack up the rent on each unit to cover the cost of their usage.

What else would you recommend?

It's tricky, he raises the rent, then his numbers look higher than others in the listings.  And a big 'free laundry' add will invite more abuse.  Building security should be reviewed, including gate options, but he needs a way to collect extra value without putting that value in the room.

Perhaps a machine with some kind of electronic value or a coded door with subscriptions for the door.  But it looks to be a tiny room, so probably a tiny complex.  Not much budget then, for getting fancy.  Have to find a better lock box or mount it inside a cage.

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 03:28:16 PM »
I had a customer with the same problem. He put bars on the window and changed the lock and gave current tenants a key. Told them if it continued he would remove them. Hasnt had any problems.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Wow! Can't say I have ever seen anything like that.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
7 times in the last 2 years I have dealt with this type of thing. As I posted above put a lock the door and give tenants key and never happens again.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:48:43 AM »
The room does have a lock but they seem to just bash the door in.  The door frame is broken up.  Well, the landlord is going to replace the dryer with one that's not coin operated at my suggestion.  When the washer gets smashed into, then she will replace it with one that's not coin operated as well.  I just don't know what else to suggest to her.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 11:12:42 AM »
Security cameras that has web access and monitoring and a sign on the door that you are on camera...I like your idea about not charging. but johnny and all his friend will be using them..busy all the time !

I had one that the thief cut the hoses destroyed the coin mechanism, and never touched the coin vault.. they didn't shut the water off and flooded the wash room and the next apartment tens of thousands of dollars in damage and NOT one quarter did the thief get!
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
I did some work in an apartment with 2 washer and 2 dryers. They did quite a bit of damage but I got them repaired. I saw the owner about a month later and he told me they cut the hoses and stole the 2 washers.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
So easy to just unscrew the hoses ...don't know why the thief's have to cut them? and also can't turn the water off?

other thing is it must take a lot of time to beat up the coin mechanism as bad as the damage was..
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 11:36:17 PM »
not sure how expensive the system is to set up.. but one of the old apartment complexes I lived in had card readers on their washers and dryers... you got a card when you moved in.. and if you lost it you had to pay for a new card.   They had a machine to load money onto the card in the apartment office...