Author Topic: Maytag Washer A612 noticing grease marks on clothes  (Read 6974 times)

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Maytag Washer A612 noticing grease marks on clothes
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »
Now the washtub should lift off.Then remove the tub seal. It unscrews with reverse threads. There is a set screw that you need to remove first.Then remove the lower part of the seal. It looks like a bellow. It will come off with a good pull. Then remove the air dome which is on the outside of the tub at the right rear corner. Then the tub to pump hose and finally the three bolts holding the tub to the three legs.Do all that and then get ready for more instructions.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »
Remove inner tub,remove set screw holding stem kit in place. remove stem kit remember left hand thread.

Offline Kel1guy

• Technician
  • Appliance, & small engine repair since late 60's
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »
What is the current repair progress?  There is more that can be done to remove the agitator even if you have broken it the splined elastometic piece can stay put on the transmission agitator shaft.   The transmission may also be contaminated with water.  If it is you will need to remove it drain and clean it and re-service.  There is an o-ring that is on the drive shaft side that should also be changed.  Changing that Oring is not for the first timer as it is very difficult to remove and replace.  You have to remove small the nylon drive gear after first removing a short vertical locking pin that locks the retaining screw head in place.  Then there are 2 washers one of them copper colored that nieed to also be lifted off to gain access to the Oring.  I flatten a piece of 1/8 in round brass rod and use that to push down on the oring from to to dislodge it. 
reinstalling the oring youhave to place the drive shaft back in the bottom of the transmission until it is flush with the bottom of the oring retaining area then push it into place with a DULL object.  The reason you changed the oring is it gets hard and also leaks onto the large drive pulley and then eventally ends up on the floor along with greasing the belts to where they too would need changed.

I can do step by step if need be but the whole task it pretty involved.  Some of old timers would love to dive into this one and bring it back to life.   As one poster stated... They will last forever if you maintain them.   

All of the above is required because the grease seal at the top of the tub mount started leaking and the oring on the ring of the "agitator" drive shaft wore out or got hard.   There is SPECIAL spanner tool with 4 lock tabs required to remove the stem seal. NOTE you must remove the allen locking set screw FIRST before attempting to remove the tub mount above the TUB seal. 
Kelly

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2013, 08:39:35 AM »
Parts that were due today, now delayed until Monday. :(
Usually parts arrive quicker than expected.

Awaiting Spanner wrench #1590 & tub seal #1478842

Should I be ordering other parts?

Inner tub is out.
Can't go much further on stem without spanner.
Will remove outer tub hoses an loosen three bolts in the meantime.

Thanks for input so far. Don't leave me now.

Offline Kel1guy

• Technician
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Take a good look at the outer tub to drain hose and the hose from the water inlet valve to the tub cover.  Older hoses crack (lower hose) and the inlet hose tears where is mates to the tub cover hole.  Also inside the injector... that is an air gap between the inlet water hose and the inlet hose there is a rubber piece that has a plastic round tapered / triangular insert inside/ The rubber hose piece get hard.  Most of the time I order / purchase the injector kit and tub to pump hose.  Sometimes when you open the transmission you will note the nylon drive gear is worn.  You will not know if you need this gear until you get the top of the transmission removed.  To remove the transmission once the outer tub is removed you must remove the large drive pulley.  First remove the rubber cap covering the center of the pulley.  NOTE and pay attention to this step. BEFORE you remove the philipps screw holding the splined locking pawl / pulley retaining tab..... Rotate the large pulley by hand one way will turn freely rotating the agitator shaft. Reversing pulley rotation the other way it will be hard to turn and you with some effort see the tranmission spin.  You will see a noticeable gap between the pawl tab and the pulley tab with the pulley rotated in the direction that would cause the tub to spin.  When you eventually reinstall the transmission and pulley YOU MUST ensure you have that same gap.  Otherwise it may not spin at all or... the tub brake will not work causing the tub to coast to a stop vs being normally braked to a stop.  The drive pulley locking / retaining pawl is removed by gently working your way around it with a flat blade screwdriver and lifting it off.  At this pont rotate the pulley and it will spin off.  Transmission will now lift out of the brake assembly.  Once reoved check the radial bearing in the top of the brake assy for corrosion and wear.  If the 
bearing is bad... you will have to remove the brake to change the "radial Bearing"  Another special / one time use tool required to remove the brake assy.  There is also an allen set locking screw holding the brake assy. thread in place.  If your washer was noisy (roar or rumble) during the spin cycle or has leaked water underneath the machine for a long time this bearing has to be changed. 

Each machine has differnent repair needs but the above are the most common. One more thing to check is the rollers for the floating motor mount.  With the belt on reach inderneath the unit and at mid point pinch the belt together.  Then release it.  The belt should start to retension.  If it does not the rollers / mount glides will need replaced.  Old rollers were nylon / teflon and round.  New part for mount is a square teflon peice that mounts where old round rollers (4 each) were.   If the rollers are bad I usually change the 2 mount springs also.   

I am way ahead of your repair needs here... but these steps apply to all A106 through A806 models.  There was also an elecronic A906 model that is very rare but the same as stated above.   

I can not emphasize enough that you check the washer base for grease on the belt side.... If you see grease has been thrown all the way to the outside of the washer base frame that pesky transmission oil o-ring seal on the drive shaft side got hard and is leaking.  Any new oil you add via transmission repair will just slowly leak out. 

DO NOT forget to order the transmisson cover gasket.  NOTE... when reinstalling the transmission cover do NOT over tighten the cover cap screws (bolts).  You will severely damage the threads in the tranmission base. Good luck on installing a new insert....!!!

If the belts are hard... like very hard... change them. 

Let us know if you need more assistance...
Kelly

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Parts and spanner delayed until Tuesday, my wife was not amused.

So far:Agitator out with rope trick Inner tub clamping nut cut off Clamping nut washer removedRemoved Agitator drive shaft seal retaining ringNot sure how to remove next washerFront of unit removed
new since previous status post
Tub cover removed
Set screw removed
Awaiting spanner
Hoses disconnected. Hoses look good and are pliable.
Outer tub bolts removed
Cleaned removed parts
Hurry up & wait

Read more: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=12865.30#ixzz2fkJQBhyy

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:19 PM »
I have 2 agitamers.    Used to work on the old GE washers,  and it was the best way to get out a stuck agitator.     I also have the old Maytag agitator remover.     It also works good.   Don't use either of them much anymore.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Good news. Spanner and stem kit arrived.

Bad news. After a good doses of PB Blaster (a penetrating spray) and much hammering clockwise with set screw removed, it appears that the nut turning was more likely the transmission turning. I put a registration mark on the tool and top of the stem. They do not appear to have lost sight of each other.

Any magic spells out there. My wife's patience is wearing thin.
I still have not given up. :-\ :-\

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
Cut the nut off.

Guess a good hammer and chisel works too, but I like power tools. ;)
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
To clarify my status:

So far:Agitator out with rope trick
Inner tub clamping nut cut off
Clamping nut washer removed
Removed Agitator drive shaft seal
Retaining ring removed
Not sure how to remove next washer
Front of unit removed
new since previous status post
Tub cover removed
Set screw removed
Hoses disconnected. Hoses look good and are pliable.
Outer tub bolts removed
Cleaned removed parts

Spanner arrived Tuesday PM
The part I am having an issue with is the mounting stem.

Read more: http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?topic=12865.45#ixzz2frUmosxG

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 08:42:26 PM »
AJ are you suggesting that I cut off the mounting stem as well?

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »
I have only ever had to cut the nut off.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Kel1guy

• Technician
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
I have never had to cut off a mounting stem either.  What you can do if the transmission rotates while your hammering on the mounting sterm is stick a piece of wood between 2 of the 3 tub supports to prevent the transmission from rotating. Someone may have to hold it but usually due to the angle of the tub supports the wood will stay in place.  A short 2 x 4 if my memory serves me correctly works well. 

NOTE: The outer tub bolts have to be in place to do this.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:40:59 PM by Kel1guy »
Kelly

Offline hookcapn

• VIP Member
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »

Offline Kel1guy

• Technician
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2013, 02:38:10 AM »
When I get this deep into re-furbishing a Maytag I also replace the Tub Bearing.  I am pretty sure once you remove the mounting stem you will most likely find that the stainless steel sleeve is no longer free to glide between the tub bearing and the smooth area of the transmisson agitator shaft area.  There are slots in the smooth area.  You can spray that with penetrating oil and wait.... then use a pair of needle nose pliers to GENTLY lift it up and down to try and free it... If it stuck solid to the transmission then you end up splitting the sleeve and replacing it.  The sleeve comes with the tub bearing kit. 

NOTE on the tub seal... the face of that seal that looks like a CV joint boot has a HARD carbon ring on it. If you press on the top of the seal the hard carbon ring will break and the tub will for sure leak.  Always grab the tub seal from the side at the base for removal or installation.   
Kelly

Maytag Washer Damaging Clothes

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 1
Views: 3056
Last post November 07, 2008, 06:51:27 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Washer leaking/ throwing grease- belt chewed up-

Started by HIGHBERG

Replies: 1
Views: 2252
Last post February 08, 2009, 08:55:12 PM