365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Niobrara, Some questions about your brazing machine.  (Read 126 times)

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Niobrara, Some questions about your brazing machine.
« on: August 25, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
Which model did you get and what was the price?  What is the voltage at the electrodes, ac or dc? What is the amperage through the cables? Is there a tech sheet with a schematic?
I'm going to attempt to make a brazer out of a rewound microwave oven transformer or two. I experimented with one MOT, two wraps of an old battery jumper cable as the secondary.  I got about 3 volts from the cable, and 12 amps through the primary, the secondary amperage was too high for my meter to measure.  I tried it on 1/4 inch copper, it got hot enough to melt plumbing solder but not hot enough to melt 45% silver brazing rod. A third wrap of the secondary raised the voltage but caused too much amperage through the primary. The cable got really hot and eventually shorted out at the transformer. I'm thinking maybe a second transformer with some way to limit the amperage might do it.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: Niobrara, Some questions about your brazing machine.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
Sorry for the delay,been busy. Model is a 10587  Watt 0-2000  Freg 50/60   I can set up for 500 watt 1300 watt or 1800 watt. I paid $1050 with shipping a little over $1100. There is a learning curve . I find myself practicing with it quite a bit and yes I have melted thru some copper. My fault not the unit. The unit has ac voltage/ low voltage /high amperage current. It came with two sets of cables ,I like the larger set better at this time,because I have used them more. I still do not have the smaller set understood yet. Mine also has a foot-piece that lets you have your hands free for brazing.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:24 AM »
Thanks for getting back.  What is your no-load voltage at the electrodes?  Solbraze is another company that sells a resistance brazing machine. They don't post their prices but they do post some specs.  Their TP2 machine has voltage from 4.5 to 6.5 volts.  So my 3 volts I was getting with my MOT might not be enough.  They give a max current rating of 155 amps.  I'm sure I was way over that because I should have been able to read that with my meter.  I think the carbon electrodes are important.  I just shorted the cable ends on the copper tubing. Like I said, it heated it up enough to melt plumbing solder but not silver. Instead of resistance, I had a dead short and that's why my secondary burnt up. I like the idea of not bringing a torch into the house.  I'm almost out of acetylene, but for $1100, I can buy a lot of acetylene.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
Dont know but I will check on the no-load at electrodes.  Yes little high but with the newer evaps being so tight to replace I thought what the heck, if it works no more melted plastic and faster. I'm between$ 480 and up on just compressors so it doesn't take long to pay for it. And yes those cables do get hot. Also don't get stuff on the electrodes ???

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
I use the smaller hand set for cap tube to dryer solders. I don't like to de-solder with it.. have to wait too let it cool down and get some scaling on the copper. great for doing evaporators installs..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:53:23 PM by krazytech »
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
Krazytech what settings are you using on the smaller cables ?

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »
I use full power I know it is not recommended ..but I get in so fast and off 10 to 20 sec.  have to be careful no to over heat the handset.
 I also use solder rings and a silver solder wire to hold the ring on the joint.
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

not washing machine safe

Started by BrntToast

Replies: 0
Views: 29
Last post March 03, 2008, 04:19:59 AM
by BrntToast
Greatest wahing machine ad ever

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 10
Views: 112
Last post March 16, 2009, 09:14:50 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
In need of suggestions Hoshizaki IM122J ice machine.

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 5
Views: 72
Last post October 15, 2009, 07:22:07 PM
by JWWebster
Need Service Manual for Miele Coffee Machine

Started by tgoods

Replies: 4
Views: 57
Last post October 31, 2010, 06:46:19 PM
by jumptrout51
Resistance Brazing refrigerant lines