365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: How have customers changed over the years...  (Read 126 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
How have customers changed over the years...
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »
As I recall back in 1988 when I started in this field customers seems a lot more appreciative then they do now days.

It was as if you were doing them a favor by getting their appliance working again.

I can recall so many times back in the day that people would also insist on feed me well working. Whether it be giving me fresh baked goods or even making me a sandwich for lunch if I was at their house around noon or if I was working late asking if I have ate supper yet.

I can't even remember the last time someone offered me a pop or glass of water.

Seems people have done lost their patience too. People call at noon and get made when I can't make it the same day now. Maybe my memory is not all that good anymore, but I don't recall people acting like they do in recent years as they did 25 years ago.

Maybe it's just me...
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: How have customers changed over the years...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
 I started in 1978. and nope, I see it as well.Except they call at 4pm and want you out there that day. Used to get thank you cards and Christmas cards and tips. No one has time anymore. What really surprised me was years ago when my Son and Daughter were young and we were members of a a local Grange. They were serving food and were given a tip, My Son and Daughter  said "thank you". The lady with a LOUD voice yelled "who's kids are these "? I replied mine,is there a problem? She said "no where did they learn manners?" I rarely see any courtesy of any kind any more.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »
Well I would have to agree with you. People years ago were so happy that you got to them that it was like you were there long lost relative. I still meet many great customers, they just seem to be farther in between than they used to be. I run calls between the metro area and rural. Its not just in the city where people are becoming ruder , I see it in the rural areas also. I have found that finally running my own business again after working for one of the large nation company's for 5 or 6 years that I at least my opinions that it was the company and not the people was incorrect. But man do I appreciate the nice customers. AJ down here I'm still getting fresh bread and garden treats. Sometimes,just not as often as I used to . 8)

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »
I get lots of thanks, and some tips, and better and better recommendations.  I have not yet been propositioned, but you have to start somewhere!

I wonder how much of this has to do with people struggling more and more over the years.  Or, if instead, it has something to do with the fact that appliances are now almost considered disposable.  You have to charge what a used appliance costs in order to fix it.  If it gets too much, they buy a new machine.  At that rate, even though we fixed it, we may not be viewed as doing anything too special.

Imagine if you had to regularly pay used car prices, or 1/2 the price of a new car, to get your old car fixed.  I sure wouldn't  be tipping too much.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
I have a lot of nice people I have as customers, A few that complain about the price, & some real horses ass.    I don't put up with the asses, tell them they can find the repair price they are looking for on Craig's list.  Those that express the option for a new machine, I tell them its their choice but  I will be here to service the new one when  it breaks down.   I also get offered drinks & goodies & sometimes tips.    I have been in the customer service business servicing all kinds of things since the 70's & I remember all types of good, bad, & in between of peoples attitudes.   Think it coincides with the economy.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:20:51 AM »
Got you beat,  old stove  I started in 1973.    I still get tips,  offers of drinks,  food,  and tips every now and then.    Now,  I do notice alot of rude,  nasty people also but by the time I get done with them,  their usually friendly.    I am very good at customer service and not bragging,  but most people like me.   I think the problem some techs have is being too serious.    By the time I get done with a rude customer,  I usually have them laughing.    I think that is one reason I get people to call me back all the time.    They fell comfortable and relaxed.     I got a 30 dollar tip this morning on a 170 dollar service call.   She handed me the check and it was for 200.   Told me she appreciated me getting to her so fast.    Refrigerator - needed a relay and overload,  and a good cleaning.    Plus,  sink pipes by disposal leaking,  took a whole 2 minutes to fix that problem.   Nut loosened.   So......I still see a lot of good out there in this area.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:31:46 AM »
It really depends on your area. Also, lots of customers want a repair quote, and sometimes they will use someone else.
 We had a few repair places that went out of business as they charged too much.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:54 AM »
Did a call yesterday ,the elderly lady was very grateful and paid me cash .I owed her $3.95 change but didn't have any small change on me .I told her I would go back and get her change and be back in 10 minutes (was close to shop ) She said don't be silly ,thanks for prompt service and go enjoy a coffee ....I leave . Husband wakes up ,phones the shop a bit pi$$y and demands his change ,like I ripped them off . Gotta love it !

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 04:10:41 AM »
Rah,  I always keep at least 10 ones,  some 5's and 10's incase someone needs change.    Your right,  most will say just keep it.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Nasty Customers

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 6
Views: 93
Last post July 28, 2009, 10:48:10 PM
by BrntToast
Do you call customers back after a completed service call?

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 254
Last post March 24, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
by Wedgeman55
Connecting your business with local customers

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 75
Last post June 08, 2011, 10:27:27 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Special order parts that customers never pick up?

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 51
Last post August 13, 2011, 09:16:35 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Dealing with customers...

Started by whirlpooltech

Replies: 16
Views: 188
Last post November 15, 2011, 04:35:50 PM
by rego
Elderly customers