365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: Testing of Boards - display & control  (Read 197 times)

Offline evergreen appliance

• Technician
Testing of Boards - display & control
« on: August 21, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
 Hello,
I order parts for our company and on several occasions (once on an oven, the other on a washer) when the tech has gone out to the call and its for a property management or the person who makes the decision to repair was not there, but he'll call and tell me  the diagnosis and what part it needs. Then I look up the price of part & if it's available total up the cost to repair and call the customer to tell them whats wrong, how much to repair and collect a deposit. Here's my problem... On the occasions I've mentioned above, when the tech calls he tells me it could be a display board or a control board so price it out to the customer as if the c/b fixes it great & it's this much$ but if it doesn't itll need the display board so it will be this much $. Now, I have even sat here while he calls tech support and basically I think tech support just thinks everything is  under warranty because their answer is always change them both out. That's great if it's under warranty. But, when it's not... Why can't they tell if it's the c/b or display for sure before they put them in? Isn't there a way to test them to be sure?
And I know my tech has explained this to me, but I still don't understand and when I'm calling the customer and they ask, I want to be able to explain it to them with no hesitation in my voice when I explain it to them. So can someone explain it to me AGAIN why this is? Thank you

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Testing of Boards - display & control
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
Tech support usually advises off "in warranty" status whether it is or is not. Display pcbs are usually just that, a display. Usually not as smart or responsible as the main pcb. All it comes down to is the problem at hand and the tch needs to make an educated decision.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:09 AM »
Sounds like the tech needs some more education on how to diagnose..   Sure,  there are times when it's hard to tell which part is bad,   but that should be explained to customer.     He has to take all variables,   think about it,  and make his best educated guess.     If your getting power into a board,  and it is doing nothing,  it is the board.     I don't always trust tech lines also.  He has to use his own instincts.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »
The problem is educated guesses and instinct is not the same as cold hard fact.
For example, if in fact a fuse is bad you can simple put a meter on it to test it, there is no educated guessing or having to go with instincts.

Some of the things I run across that have more then one board (example: washer control board & motor control board) it can be hard or simply impossible to say with 100% accuracy all the time what board is the problem, let alone why it's causing the trouble.

I just hate guessing, because it often comes back to bit me in the ass and it cost me money, but there are times I don't see any other way.

Offline Cananot

• Technician
  • Technician for 13 years and still getting stumped
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »
AJ your right and as the times change so don't the appliances and there getting more smarter which puts us in a hard place but we just spent about 5grand on a board testing machine from samslug aka Samsung I haven't had time to play with it but now that should make our job a little bit easy since at our shop we are currently repairing GE boards which I think is a waste but company thinks that will save money ?????

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:26:33 PM »
AJ your right and as the times change so don't the appliances and there getting more smarter which puts us in a hard place but we just spent about 5grand on a board testing machine from samslug aka Samsung I haven't had time to play with it but now that should make our job a little bit easy since at our shop we are currently repairing GE boards which I think is a waste but company thinks that will save money ?????

Would be great to hear some more info about that board testing machine along with seeing a photo or two of it.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
When the main board is out many times the display will be out.  Or the display could be bad but the main board is fine.  In warranty scenarios we techs like getting the job done ASAP, which usually means getting both boards so there isn't a call back later.

No if it's a collect customer I will try and diagnose the board a little bit more.  But on many machines it's hard to test one if you don't know if the other is working.

Case in point, I have an open job on a LG washer.  My flowchart tells me that the Main PCB is bad, but I have no idea if the display PCB works.  I can't test it without a working one.  So had these people had a warranty, I would have ordered both.

Offline nolazach

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
(example: washer control board & motor control board) it can be hard or simply impossible to say with 100% accuracy all the time what board is the problem, let alone why it's causing the trouble.

When I did stuff for American Home Shield and other Home warranties, I would replace both in that case.  I could spend $270 in parts per job without much question.  So I would just get both and let them sort it out.

Referrals to R&R oven control boards.

Started by fixyourboard

Replies: 2
Views: 78
Last post October 12, 2009, 05:43:52 PM
by fixyourboard
Component testing from control board

Started by andyf80

Replies: 0
Views: 66
Last post October 05, 2014, 11:25:02 PM
by andyf80