Forum > Tools, Equipment & Other Products

Tool work-arounds, or substitutions?

(1/2) > >>

andersenappliance:
For Example, the Maytag brake tool The tool is not even available anymore, but the function can be substituted by using longer screws(1" 10/24) in the brake housing and loosening it up to relieve the pressure.   That tool used to cost almost 200 bucks, if I am not mistaken.

Then there is this tool for the Performa hub nut.  It is not available anymore, but is substituted by part number TJSHSW-1 made by Pro.  (no image available)  They want 70 bucks for this item.

This tool, for the older Maytag brakes, costs almost $60.  It is strong, and is a unique application, but it appears to be cheaply made, something that the Chinese could crank out for less that $0.25 a piece.

This tool, for the springs, is nice if you use it a lot, but can be replace by pliers or vice-grips and elbow grease.  Even so, at around $22 it is not too expensive.

You can get nuts off by chiseling them, or by destroying them in one way or another, but why are these tools so expensive?  I think it'd be a great service for the users of this forum if we could offer suggestions for viable work-arounds.

What have you guys come across?

tgoods:
There's a brake tool on ebay right now with a BIN price of 39.90.  Sensible Products sells the brake tool, part number BBRT-1. I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere so I don't know the price. They also have the spanner wrench, SPSW-1.

andersenappliance:
I've seen sensible products before.

They sell a tension spring expander.

I've just used a o-ring pick on these with great success.

Patricio:
When I go to the dentist for teeth cleaning, I always ask for their old pics He always accommodates me.

RegUS_PatOff:

--- Quote from: tgoods on August 20, 2013, 10:18:03 PM ---  Sensible Products sells the brake tool, part number BBRT-1.
I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere so I don't know the price. .

--- End quote ---

$ 76 at appliancezone
$ 60 eBay (sold)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version