Author Topic: Rich People  (Read 315 times)

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Rich People
« on: August 16, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »
Just finished a call in a gated community where the average price of a house is $2.4M... Previous tech did a tub job on a Duet and apparently took the dryer vent hose because it was missing. I called the previous tech and he says it wasn't installed when he got there. It was sitting in a drawer. Ask the costumer about that and he denies it.  Says that the previous tech took it and wants me to either A) Get it back and install it. Or B) Put a new one on for free. Because if it is not resolved today, he will file a lawsuit against the company, the last two techs, me (????) for the maximum amount allowed by law. Because he's a lawyer, and her knows he will win.

So I installed a new vent, spent twenty minutes on the phone getting a "Discount Authorization" for a whopping $20 and went on with my day. Even though the guy was full of $hit and just wanted a free dryer hose...

I swear, the richer people are the meaner they are. I guess that's why I'm broke, I'm too nice...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Rich People
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
That's how they got their money.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
I was working the door at a club one evening, and a guy pulls up in a sweet mercedes.  He steps up to the door, and I ask him hows it going.  He's dressed in very high quality casual - you can tell he's bucks up.  He fakes a golf swing and says he spent all day on the course, and has stopped by for a scotch (he only drinks high-end).  I ask for $4 bucks for the cover charge and he is gone in a huff!

Do I think rich people are assholes?  Yeah, some.

But I think it is more common for people to try and act rich through their possessions and through bragging about their profession while they are actually stewing inside because they live a week away from bankruptcy.

Most of these people don't have the money they spend, and are living in fear of what people will say if they don't have the latest, greatest, and best.  People whose wife would leave them, whose children will turn on them, and whose (faux) social standing would plummet if they don't come through are subject to a lot of stress.  People under stress are often assholes.

I saw a guy's budget (on the wall in the"office" (a hall closet) of a foreclosed house) that showed that after spending upwards of $4000/mo of income he had all of $5 left.  There was no savings nor emergency planning included in the budget.  I wish I had saved it.  He had stretched to buy a kinda-nice house in a kinda-nice neighborhood.  Older area of San Diego, that had not run down too much, but due to the real estate bubble was now costing a million plus to buy there.  $4000 is not rich, but having $5 disposable income per month is dirt poor. 

Your lawyer customer should be pitied.  He probably really did not have the $20 for the new vent tube (having had to spend it on Blue Label at the Club) and you were someone that he could lash out on, thereby convincing himself that he is someone special and he is in charge, all the while knowing that his life will spiral out of control if and when the next "Dryer-Vent Occurrence" cannot be managed.

If anybody out there is in debt, I think it is time to pay it off so that you don't become like Mr. Lawyer.

But, I'm poor, and everybody knows it.  So what do I know?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:27:40 PM by andersenappliance »

Offline afterblast

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
it always cracks me up when people try to pinch pennies in terrible places...

I had a customer who had an lg side by side, the complaint was that it it was making a weird noise when it dispensed water.   arrived onsite and found that the wood floor in her house was warping up very badly...  long story short one of the lines from the water valve to the filter had cracked and was spraying out about half the water that was going through it and had both ruined the floor and leaked down through the floor ruining a pretty decent sized chunk of wall in the finished basement underneath..  asked how long it had been doing it and she said it had been making the noise for about 2 weeks and she'd let it go thinking it would get better  :-\

I quoted her about 165$ and she had a 50$ off first time customer coupon..   now the line had cracked at the bend where LG routed it under the valve, and the ice maker and dispenser lines were routed the same way and were also fairly brittle so the quote was to replace all 3 lines...   when I explained this to her she asked what the price difference would be if we just replaced the broken line, and why did I think the others should be replaced...   it was a 12 dollar difference... and I still had a hard time explaining that the old lines were just as likely to break as that supply line.. and if they did she'd likely have another floor to replace... :D

also this was in a pretty upscale neighborhood and they had a Porsche in the driveway...

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »
Andersen excellent post ...you,ve nailed it .

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »
Anderson,  your right.   I work for a lot of "Rich" people.   They are the ones most likely to pinch penny's.   Had one last week - I suggested changing the plastic supply line on a refrigerator with a stainless steel jacketed one.  They had a real wood kitchen floor,  and I explained the reason for changing.     Instead of spending 45 for the new line,  he had me just fix the plastic line.     Too cheap for spending the 45.    Oh.........did mention they had a 6 car garage,  huge house,   a mercedes,  an infinity and a car under a cover (which turned out to be a 67 mint Vette) but 45 bucks was too much to spend.    Idiots.     But hey,  when the line spits eventually and ruins the floor,  they will be wishing they had spent the 45 bucks.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »
I am very well acquainted with a rich couple. They are my sons inlaws. They have a multimillion dollar company and live paycheck to paycheck.
They have no cash and have borrowed money from my son to meet bills. They do pay it back. However they do lead a nice life. Two boats, an airplane in a hanger[which hasn't flown in 5 years] and they never keep a car over a year.Right now they have 4 cars, an F-350 and a huge motorhome.They are presently on vacation for 2 weeks. Nice people but 180 degrees from my wife and I. Oh I forgot to mention they bought new mustangs for their 2 daughters, all on payments, of which they have been unable to make a couple of times. The mother has confided to my wife that it is stressful on her and she envies us because our house and cars are paid off. I will say that they are successful because they think big when it comes to their business and deserve every dollar they make.

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
I don't know...I really don't.

I see people, many of them friends, who make lots of money, but are always on the edge.

Too much commute, too many bills, but on the other hand there are others who are broke, but deal with whatever...

I'd like more money.  My moving the business has got me out hanging flyers on people's doors.  I'm not established, and may go to flippin' burgers or servin' coffee if I can get a support job for the off hours.  But I know I have to earn a living.  Earning peoples respect is good as well, but killing myself to establish myself in some tv-inspired fantasy lifestyle seems foolish.

I'd rather push a grocery cart full of cans and smell some roses.  (not that the homeless actually do, but...)

I guess it is true that character is what is left after all the junk is stripped away.  I hope if you take away my junk, I'd still have some character left, may it please God.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
Andersen with that attitude you WILL succeed

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
Thanks, I hope so.

Sorry, LowSL2 if I hijacked your thread.  ???

Please view "We the People"........

Started by jumptrout51

Replies: 0
Views: 20
Last post June 24, 2009, 04:03:24 PM
by jumptrout51
Things people call you for other then appliance repair?

Started by AJ

Replies: 32
Views: 476
Last post September 03, 2014, 03:08:13 AM
by Wedgeman55
People are so different

Started by RAH52

Replies: 5
Views: 64
Last post July 11, 2012, 08:44:38 AM
by Joebeef
People don't read anymore