Author Topic: Samsung Dryer DV220AEW, No Heat and shuts down after 5 min any cycle  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Derrick Allen

• VIP Member
Hey Forum,

I really need some help here. My Samsung dryer quit heating and now it shuts down after about 3 - 5 minutes on any cycle I choose.

I searched around and came up with the most common things that can cause this. I have bought and replaced the entire Heating assembly which has the new coil inside and the components attached to the outside. I think it's a high temp thermostat and something else.

That didn't fix either issue. I also bought and replaced the main control board, but it still has the same symptoms. I have checked and ensured all ducts and airways are fine. The drum spins, the air blows out the back, etc..  It just never get any heat and the cycles just end regardless of what I put it on and plays the ending music after about 3 - 5 minutes.

I'm racking my brain here. I see there's a sub control board assembly that goes behind the front control panel. All of the lights are working on the panel, including the timer and all settings. Could this be something gone wrong with that control board and not the main board?

I'm weary to spend anymore money buying more things. I feel like I've replaced everything that could cause it! Help!

Offline Derrick Allen

• VIP Member
Just to add to this. I used the voltage meter and tested the outlet and test on the cables themselves coming into the dryer while it was plugged up. Everything is fine and checks out fine.

I have looked through the manual, forums, websites, etc... trying to find out if there is another fuse or something else inside that needs to be checked or replaced. No luck yet.

I'm still on the fence about purchasing the sub control board under the front panel as all the displays, cycles, buttons, etc.. are all working fine as of right now.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
The sensor strips might be coated with wax buildup from dryer sheets. The wetness from the clothes might no be detected by them as a result. Try cleaning the sensors with windex. Wet clothes must be in the dryer or it will shut down after 5 minutes when no moisture is sensed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:22:44 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Derrick Allen

• VIP Member
I thought about that so I did clean the sensor. It even happens on the timer mode. Does the sensor work at all when using timed dry?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I would not think so
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline domain

• Technician
I would imagine a thermister issue. The unit can not tell the operating temp and shuts down for safety!

Offline Derrick Allen

• VIP Member
I thought it might start to look like an electrical issue. I tested the outlet with a meter and it seemed to check ok.

I took off the back metal plate and tested the leads coming into the dryer. Both of the hot leads tested fine and each lead tested fine to the middle neutral.

So NOT a power issue. Blah.

I did take of the thermistor and the low temp thermostat from the blower housing assembly. The low temp thermostat tested fine for continuity. The new thermistor was $7, so I just ordered one to rule it out. It will be coming today.

If that does NOT fix it. I'm completely out of ideas and I think I'm going to go ahead and call a technician to come out. I'll still post whatever the fix is here as I've tried every other fix known to any and every forum/website available and hopefully help out some other poor soul if they encounter this. 

This is fairly typical for me with any type of mechanical issue. Auto, appliance, etc...

"Well NORMALLY it's only $15 in parts and super easy fix for 99% of the people who experience this but for YOU it's going to be 15x the normal amount and it's very rare"  - Story of my life.

samsung dryer shuts off 2-3 minutes into cycle

Started by joshuaray

Replies: 1
Views: 2688
Last post November 11, 2012, 01:19:19 AM
by AJ
LG Gas Dryer - Heat comes on for a few seconds and shuts down

Started by Joe LG

Replies: 8
Views: 3887
Last post May 13, 2010, 07:19:38 PM
by john63