Author Topic: Victory FS-1D-S7 freezer won't get cold (just cool) after 3n1 installation  (Read 1841 times)

Offline krazytech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
top of the evaporator box can be removed.
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline RLR

• VIP Member
OK, i finally got a chance to do this.  I plugged in the freezer, and soon the evaporator coil was getting cold where the refrigerant first comes into the coil.  In about a minute that area frosted up a little.  The evaporator fan kicked in, and the coil there was just mildly cool and damp.  However the other end of the coil (the last few windings before it leaves to return to the compressor) never got cool at all.
In about 2 or 3 minutes - after the evaporator fan shut back off - there was still some condensation on the cool side of the coil, but again, nothing was getting VERY COLD at all.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
first I would let it run longer.. even until compressor shuts off..  I am wondering why the evaporator fan stopped ? as it is not getting cold enough to switch off at the thermostat. 
Is there access valves on the system? do you have gauges? is it 134a or R-12  Do you have a clamp on amp meter..

Would like to know how any amps the compressor is pulling? what the pressures on both high side and low side? what size is this compressor and what gas it uses?

Offline RLR

• VIP Member
Whew!  Let me get as much of that info as possible... when I can.
Just as a side note: I let the freezer run overnight twice... both times it only got down to 24F.  Typically, when I plug it in now, the compressor starts right away, then a few minutes later the evap fan runs.  A couple minutes later the evap fan will kick off.  2 or 3 or 4 cycles of the evap fan kicking on and off and the compressor will kick off.  Seems the compressor and the evaporator fan are functioning independently of each other.  (By the way, the condenser fan is always running.)
Yes, I have service ports; I don't have guages, but I know someone who does; I see a sticker on the top of the condenser shroud that I think says R12, but I read in a manual online somewhere that it takes R404a (I guess I should go by what the sticker says.)
I'll have to get an amp clamp, and I will see if I can tell what size compressor it is.
Thanks for your help.

Offline krazytech

• Technician
So what does the evaporator look like after running all night?

Is your unit control be a digital controller  or a simple thermostat?

older unit will be R12 before 1996.

Have you checked around the evaporator for oil..or oil spots?

so far it looks like you have a leak and a weak compressor... but I wonder why your evaporator fan stops at 24f and your compressor still running?

Offline RLR

• VIP Member
I plugged in the freezer again and let it run for 16 hours.
The evap coil has some light frost where the gas enters the coil, and it's dry where it then leaves to return to the compressor.
When the compressor starts, there is no moaning or laboring of the compressor, it sounds smooth.  The lights don't go dim or anything.
I will try to attach two pictures - my first attempt failed.  One picture is of the label on the compressor.  The other is the label on the condenser housing.

Offline RLR

• VIP Member
... the condenser housing label:

Fridge and freezer both cool not cold

Started by paul1474

Replies: 8
Views: 1621
Last post November 17, 2012, 12:52:49 PM
by dab147315
Frigidaire Freezer not Cold Enough

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0